Xbox wont read Ethernet cable

So I've been having this problem more then once and it's now becoming rather annoying I have to say.

There are times that my Xbox wont read my Ethernet cable. By that I mean it doesn't even acknowledge that there is an Ethernet cable plugged into the xbox and the router.

I had just gotten internet again and I have Verizon Modem/Router combo, so my usual D-Link has become obsolete now. But even so I have been having this problem even with my D-Link router. I've tried many Ethernet cables and they all do the same thing. I'd use the same cable on my laptops and even my desktop and it's acknowledged just fine. So I know it can't possibly be a faulty cable.

I don't know what the problem is and how to fix it. If it's something faulty in the Xbox itself.

If anyone has any fixes to this please tell me. It's annoying to have to fight with your xbox to acknowledge your Ethernet cable let alone getting it to read your connection.(Though I have yet to run into that.) Usually once it acknowledges my cable then everything is perfectly fine.

~Nyte

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 77 Applies to:

Hey there! Exactly which console do you have, an older version, or the new S console? If older, do you have a wireless network adapter attached? Have you also tried multiple ethernet cables?  Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the older version. I had gotten mine in Dec 2006. No I don't have a wireless network adapter attached, and that I don't have a wireless adapter at all. I've always used an Ethernet cable. Yes I have tried multiple ones. I just brought a new one today and have tried it and it still wont recognize it at all. Even though I have it plugged into the router and into my xbox it will tell me I need to attach an Ethernet cable to the xbox and router.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same problem, would you mind pasting the answer here if you get one? forums.xbox.com/.../487768.aspx

thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

If your console won't recognize any ethernet cable, you might need to get it repaired. You can contact phone support (support.xbox.com/contact-us) or set one up on Xbox.com. Sorry for the hassle!

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah...sounds like the ethernet port on your console is dead.  One simple way to test this is to borrow a console, plug up your ethernet cord to it and see if that console will connect to Live.  If so, then your ethernet port has been damaged somehow.

Sorry this didn't help.