xbox won't output in HD, but will output SD

hi

I used to connect my xbox 360 through a DVI adapter on an HDMI cable to a monitor, which worked fine for ages, but then one day it suddenly stopped working. I tried a couple different cables and adapters, they didn't work either. The xbox did output fine through scart to an old SD TV through the VGA cable. It will also output SD fine through SCART to a new 1080 TV.

However, if you flick the switch on the VGA cable to HD, the screen goes black, with 'no video signal', although sound carries on playing. And if you put an HDMI cable in, there's no sound or video, and it looks like the xbox isn't booting properly, and won't connect with the controller, with the green light going round in circles, although the TV does react to the signal, but again displays 'no video signal'.

I've tried resetting the display options, I've tried 3 different HDMI cables. There's no setting to change on the TV to allow HD sources or whatever, I've been through the instructions and menus with a fine tooth comb.

I'm guessing the xbox must have a fault? Any suggestions gratefully received

cheers

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 67 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've worked out why I'm not getting video with the component cable, because I don't have the right HD cable connection for the TV. So really it's just the HDMI that's misbehaving.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've tried putting the TV into game mode. I've tried plugging in the component cable to see the display, then changing the display settings on the xbox to HD, then plugging in the HDMI cable. I guess it's an HDMI handshake issue? Or a fault in the HDMI port on the xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

I went out and bought a VGA cable and that works. But I would still like to get the HDMI working. Any ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's kind of a miracle the method was working in the first place.

The console supports VGA cable usage, but HDMI to DVI setups are not supported by the system, even though third party companies make products for it.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Dev70"]I'm guessing the xbox must have a fault?[/quote]Based on the other posts you've made in this thread, that sounds the most likely explanation.[quote user="Jameser78"]It's kind of a miracle the method was working in the first place.[/quote]No, it's not. HDMI and DVI carry the same video data. HDMI was also designed to be backwards compatible with DVI from a signaling perspective. The extra audio data that HDMI can carry does not normally cause a problem.[quote]HDMI to DVI setups are not supported by the system,[/quote]They're not supported from an official perspective because MS never made an HDMI to DVI cable. They're supported from a console perspective as MS supports manual resolution selection when the connected display does not enumerate its display options to the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not trying to use DVI any more anyway, Im just trying to connect the Xbox HDMI to HDMI on a new TV

Sorry this didn't help.

do you check to see if the xbox was still set to sd?

Sorry this didn't help.

yes. reset the display settings. also manually changed the resolution and then swapped the cables. anyway, it's outputting HD successfully through the VGA. looks like it's just a fault with the HDMI port, i suppose.

Sorry this didn't help.

Each cable/port on the Xbox has separate video settings that get remembered. I'd unplug ALL cables from the Xbox except for HDMI and do a video reset with only that plugged in. If you've already been through that, I don't have any other ideas. You could try a different HDMI port on the TV, a different HDMI cable, or flipping the cable around - plug the end that was in the TV into the Xbox, and the end that was in the Xbox into the TV.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have kind of the same issue. I have always used xbox with hdmi on my TV and its worked fine. For the past month or so i have been using my computer monitor that has HDMI. Today i tried moving my xbox back to my tv and now the TV wont accept the signal. It says weak signal. I tried the whole display reset, u could see that the xbox was restarting and resetting but it didnt work. Other components work fine on the tv with the same port and cable. Even tried it on another TV but still the same problem. The xbox still however works fine on the monitor. maybe it was a bad patch? Im stumped.

Sorry this didn't help.