Xbox won't auto-sign in anymore - keeps asking for mobile, email and home number

My Xbox stopped auto signing in a few weeks ago and now keeps asking me for my mobile number, email address and home number for security purposes This is despite the fact it lists each one and asks me if they are correct. But from those screens you can't actually just click ok and have it sign in. It insists on sitting on those screens unless I just click cancel. My Xbox then signs in until the next time I switch it on.

It is ridiculous to be honest. I have done all that it asked and just seem to keep going around in circles. I have even deleted them and input them again just in case. But nothing is working and I'm sick of it. I plan on getting an Xbox One, but if this mess continues I won't bother. I usually let my xbox sign in while I go grab a drink as it takes so long - now I need to babysit it and keep going through those security screens. Anyone any ideas? Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 126 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You need to update the proofs on your account. Go to account.live.com and log in there. Go to security info, have it send you a code if needed. On the security page ensure two-step verification is turned off (if it says set up just leave it alone.). Make there is a phone number listed, and that underneath it it does not say verify, it should only say remove. same thing for email. After that I recommend making sure the security question is up to date. You don't really need a phone number and an email, you just need two things, but one each is generally easier, so you can have two phone numbers, two emails, or one each. Once that's taken care of, hop onto the xbox, but don't sign in yet.

On the Xbox go to the dashboard, go to the settings tab on the far right, select system > storage > hard drive (or memory unit) > profiles > select your profile > delete profile > delete profile only.

Back up to the storage menu, highlight hard drive (or MU), and push Y to go to the device options. Select clear system cache. After that turn the system off for two minutes. Turn the system back on, go to download profile and redownload your profile.

If after all that you're still having issues, there may be something bigger wrong with your account and you may need Microsoft to look into it so contact support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll give that a try when I get a chance. Really appreciate your reply - but man that is a lot of messing about to do (Not your fault I know) in the hope of getting it working again. Re-downloading a profile is the WORST. It takes something like 45 minutes for a file that is a few megs in size. It's nuts.

I'll post back if I have any success. Already tried the proofs last night so hopefully half way there already :) Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

45 minutes for a profile is a bit nuts. Got a slow connection? Well, let us know how it works.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, MrBungle06

Yezzmina had some solid advice & we would add one more step.  Once the proofs are added (or if they are already present) at account.live.com it's important to go through the verification process. There should be a button next to each proof that says "verify" & you can click that to send a verification code to each option, which can be entered at the site.  Then head back to console & proceed with clearing the cache as Yezzmina mentioned.  Should do the trick since you mentioned that  the proofs are being listed on console, but please let us know what happens & we'll be here to pick a new path forward as necessary. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Cheers for the replies guys. Did all the above and fingers crossed, seems to be signing in ok now :)

Oh and just as a side note, I have a 120meg connection and downloads etc are extremely fast, but recovering a profile has always been very slow indeed for some reason. Yet again it took around 40-50 minutes to recover. I have no idea why. Thanks again!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a 30 MB connection and it took me 40-50 seconds to download my profile after taking the above mentioned steps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey drgnflm666,

I am not sure if you have a question or not but if you do can you please start a new thread and place your question within. This post is a bit old. thanks for the help!

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to log on to play Rock Band this New Year's. Spent a few minutes doing updates for the game and the console, then when I tried to play I couldn't log in to my profile. Had to reset the password, follow up emails, and then do it again for each and every profile of my band mates. Didn't manage to start playing until over an hour after midnight. Several of our accounts were lost so most of the band had to start again. Really frustrating New Years Eve. My advice is just to disconnect Xbox Live. It's worse than the old days of tape game where you had to wait half an hour before playing anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

"There should be a button next to each proof that says "verify" & you can click that to send a verification code to each option, which can be entered at the site."

I've been having the same problem with XBOX LIVE and its not only ridiculous but frustrating as hell!!!!  Makes me want to dump the three Xboxes I own!!  

@Yazzmina, I checked on for a verify button but there isn't a button only "remove"  GREAT ADVICE!!  I also think its silly I have to CLEAR MY CACHE!!  Obviously, a software problem, typical Microsoft garbage.  What really pisses me off is I can't change my account alias because it says I have to verify it but there is no more sbcglobal.net so how the hell can I do that!?  

FRUSTRATED BEYOND BELIEF!

Sorry this didn't help.

can you (a rep) just tell me exactly how to get rid of this whole verification process. I have already verified my account through email and phone and yet when i turn my xbox on I am again prompted to do so again.

Sorry this didn't help.