Xbox Wireless Receiver for Windows Troubles

After a myriad of fruitless call centers, chat supports, and forums, as well as having been given the runaround multiple times, I don't know where else to turn. I used the device previously on a Windows 7 computer with instant success, but now on an 32 bit XP computer (Service Pack 3), the device wont synchronize with the controller. It's a genuine device with Microsoft labeled on the front, and the device is recognized on the Device Manager. The trouble arises when pressing both sync buttons on the controller and receiver. They just don't work together. I have downloaded the Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessory driver/file from MS's Hardware website, but I didn't see any new drivers when I went to update the device on Device manager. Any help would be appreciated; I've been struggling with this device for 3 days know.

P.S. Sorry if I'm posting in the incorrect forum, none of the others seemed to be of any significance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hello Beowulf,

To me this sounds like a good old uninstall and reinstall job the manual way.

1. Uninstall all Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller Drivers.

2. Restart your PC.

3. Install the latest Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller drivers from the Microsoft download site.

4. Restart your PC again.

5. Go to control panel - Device Manager. You should see “Unknown device” there. Right click “Unknown device” and select Properties, and then click on Update Drivers.

6. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.

7. Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

8. Select “Microsoft” from the left side, and then on the right side select “Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows”.

9. Click Next and now it should be installed. Restart your computer.

10. You should now see “Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows” in your list of hardware devices in control panel.

Please try to synchronize your controller with the receiver.

If the above does not work, is there any chance you can test it out on a Windows 7 PC again to ensure the receiver is functioning 100%?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.