Xbox will only read certain discs.

I have owned this xbox a little over a year and once again the problems start to occur. I got my first xbox in 2010, since then all i've had is constant problems with my consoles. My first xbox broke about a year and a half after purchase. The disc drive stopped working. It was out of warranty by this time. So i went and got a new xbox. This xbox was fine for a month until it started to become slow. Taking a couple of minutes to turn on and twice as long to load games. I can deal with that. Until about 2 months ago i went to play Fifa 13 and it came up "unrecognized disc". So i opened the disc tray and reclosed it. This time it said "Play Game" but without the game picture. I clicked on and it came up unrecognized disc. So i bought a replacement disc. This was fine for about 2 days then the same problem occured. It is not the disc that is the problem as i can play black ops 2 without any problems.

I think its ridiculous that im expected to pay £74 for a repair when i've done nothing wrong. That goes for both consoles. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Electronics fail.  If you automobile needs a new tire or a tune-up are you upset?  Anything that is used often experiences failure or needs replacement.

I would check to make sure your console is properly ventilated however.  Optical drive lasers tend to have a longer lifespan than a year.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand that, but after spending a ridiculous amount of money on my xbox i expect it to work for longer than a year. But £74 for it to be fixed is ridiculous.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's an imported piece of proprietary technology which increases repair costs.  This is the second console you've purchased and both suffered optical drive failure within 1.5 years... unlike Apple Microsoft doesn't do the whole planned obsolescence thing... chances are the console is either poorly ventilated or the laser is over-used.

Sorry this didn't help.

Surely if the laser was overused then surely no games would work? It is always kept well ventilated area. I just think its disgusting how they still manage to squeeze money out of you for any little thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

The laser in the DVD ROM is starting to fail on your Xbox - I've seen this myself on an old console. It will start with a few discs being flakey in terms of reading, while others work fine. Then some discs won't read at all and the others will start following this pattern until no discs read, giving you the "Open Tray" error where it doesn't even recognize a disc is inserted. A disc cleaner or blowing out dust might help for a short while, but your console will need repair. If it is less than a year old, then warranty will cover it. If it is out of warranty I believe the repair cost is about $100.

Sorry this didn't help.

you can try this and see if it works but also the eye on the xbox intend to stick alot and causes issues like this. press "Y". Do not select "A". Select "Clear System Cache". Perform Maintenance, click "Yes".

Sorry this didn't help.