XBOX Website Log-in issue...

I made a mistake when I set up an account here on the web site.  I created a NEW LIVE Account linked to my email (TastefulPoppy42; talk about random) instead of my current LIVE Account (MedMan555).  Is there anyway for me to delete TastefulPoppy42 and then link my email to my current LIVE Account (MedMan555)?  I linked MedMan555 to my WindowsLive Account on my XBOX, which is under the same email, and when I joined the site I assumed (we all know what happens when you assume) that it would recognize the email, and then link up my LIVE Account automatically.  Instead it randomly generated me a new LIVE account (TastefulPoppy42 is as random as it gets).  Any fixes for this?  I'd like to link my current LIVE Account without creating a new email account, if that's possible.

THANKS!

***MedMan555***

Not a tastey poppy...

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

This can be a doozy, take your tiem and read over this, it describes what you are looking to do.

support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey MedMan! We can definitely do something about that. What you'll need to do is create a new email to switch the 'TastefulPoppy42' account to so you can free up the email you'd like to use with your main account. Which means you'll need to first change 'TastefulPoppy 42' to a new email and then change your preferred account to the preferred email. To change the email you have associated with your account, all you need to do is follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the Settings Hub (far right on the dashboard) and select Account.
  2. Navigate to Your Information panel and select Account Security.
  3. Select Change Microsoft Account.
  4. Select Yes once you have created a new Microsoft Account.
  5. Enter the password for your current Microsoft Account.
  6. Enter the Microsoft Account and password you would like to use.
  7. Complete the prompts to save your change.

Note that you can only change the MSA every 30 days so there might be some waiting involved here but this should get you back on track! Just make sure to not log in using the email you'd like to link with your profile before changing it, otherwise you'll get another new gamertag, and that's no fun. Let us know how it goes! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having several issues with this, and they have to do more with Microsoft Live accounts than anything.  1.My GamerTag MedMan555 is connected to an old email, which is connected to it's own separate Live account.  The email account has since expired, and I don't remember the password to the Live account, so I can't get an email confirmation of the forgotten password.  I filled out the questionaire in an attempt to get the password sent to my new email account, but my answers were rejected, primarily because I'm unable to give the names and subjects of the last emails I received on that account, which no longer exists.  I'm in the process of trying to re-establish the email account with yahoo, but have had little to no success with that.  2. I created a second email account and Live Account to swith tastey poppy to, and the new Live Account under the new email was rejected because MS said it was an invalid email, so I was unable to switch Tastey Poppy from my current working email address, even if I could access my original email address, which no longer exists.  If you're not confused by now, I totally am.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Poppy! When you tried changing the email address of your original account, what was the full error message you got. Did you get a code with it as well? Did you just create this new email address recently, or have you had it for a while? Was it ever connected to any other Gamertags? Let us know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Got the issue fixed!  (Sorta)  I can at least log in as MedMan555 now, which all I really wanted to do anyway.

Used the Chat option at XBOX customer support and got the password reset on my old Microsoft Live account.  Just want to give a shout out to the Support team at XBOX, they were EXTREMELY helpful and very supportive and patient.  They didn't try to pass me off to someone else, or move on to the next customer; they kept with me until my issue was resolved which I appreciated.

Since the issue was with my Microsoft Account, I tried giving the XBOX team a break, and at first tried to resolve the issue through Microsoft Support (you'd think they'd be one and the same, lemme tell you THEY"RE NOT!).  How should I put this... Microsoft Support SUCKS to the other extreme.  Won't go into too much detail, but they were more eager to send me to a different department than they were in actually helping me with my issue.  

But with that said, XBOX customer support rocks, and was much more professional in how they dealt with me.

Much appreciation XBOX team!

Thanks again!

Sorry this didn't help.

Awesome sauce!  Glad to hear we could sort is for you. :D  Game on!

Sorry this didn't help.