Xbox use without disk drive

Hey, I'll try to make this quick. If you don't have a working disk drive (my friend dropped it a little while ago, and it's been saying that there's not a disk in the drive when there actually is ever since. Also, my warranty ran out, so I can't send it in or anything. I'm planning on getting it fixed eventually, but I've no money. Anyway, what I'm really interested is if I'd be able to like, play games purchased off of the marketplace without a disk drive? They play directly from the hard drive, right? So, no disk = no drive needed, correct? Please, help would be appreciated, 'cause it's just been sitting there for a couple months now, and I just realized that it might be possible to play games that way.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

:|, I forget to finish the sentence in the beginning. I was just gonna ask the same question I did at the end of the post tho, so.. yeah. Would I be able to play games from the hard drive without a disk drive?*

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

when games are bought via the game marketplace they run directly from the hard drive, and no dvd (disk) is needed to play the game.

The game bought via the marketplace is a download and when the file is downloaded from the marketplace it resides on the hard drive and that is all you need to be able to play the game

-

So in short: You should be able to play a game that is bought via the xbox live games section of the console

Sorry this didn't help.

You are correct.  If you purchase the game from the Marketplace, the DRM/Auth to play the game comes with it.  If you have the disk, the that information is read from the disk and allows the game to load that when then.  So if you purchase the same game off the marketplace that you have a disk of, it should run it then.

Sorry this didn't help.

WOW, xD, I feel so dumb now. I even gave away a controller, and some other accessories 'cause I didn't figure I'd get it fixed for quite awhile. Anyway, thanks, guys! NERDGASM!!! I'm about to go buy a game and nolife the fudge out of it! :), again, thanks for being so helpful, for the lengthy responses, etc; a simple "yes" would have been good, but it's nice to see people are thorough.

Have a wonderful day!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just an FYI. You can still send it in without a warranty, but you have to pay.

MS does not authorize sending it anywhere but to them. In fact, having it opened up for repair by anyone other than Xbox's own repair people can lead to a console ban.

Sorry this didn't help.