Xbox To Require Sign In Every 5 Years To Maintain Gamertag!

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-changes-services-agreement-xbox-now-requires-sign-every-5-years-maintain-gamertag/

As of September 15, Xbox now requires users to sign in at least once every 5 years to keep their Gamertag associated to their Microsoft account.

Microsoft is updating its Services Agreement, and of the most notable changes is that an obligatory sign in once in a 5 year period is now required to maintain your gamertag.

In the Microsoft Account or Skype Account section, we’ve added a requirement that you must sign into the Xbox Services at least once in a 5-year period to keep the Xbox gamertag associated with your Microsoft account. We’ve also added that if your account is compromised, we may be required to disable access to certain content.

If a user fails to do so, he or she might lose access to the gamertag associated with the Microsoft account, and that gamertag may become available for use by other XBL users.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Doubt anyone would ever want mine anyways. But if I was gone for one year I would likely never be back let alone 5

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

So it's a quinquennial slap to the face...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Or a way to force DRM by not allowing things to work, even offline after so long a time. (Digital Games/DLC etc)

Interesting!  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good. It should be annual. Odds are if your not signing in on a regular weekly basis your not justifying the system. If your Gold expires, GT expires with it...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

^^ I agree with you to an extent, but I wouldn't like losing my gt if my gold ran out. Maybe if it was out for a year or 2. I moved to Asia for 18 months so it would've sucked losing my gt. It has significant meaning to me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Good. It should be annual. Odds are if your not signing in on a regular weekly basis your not justifying the system. If your Gold expires, GT expires with it... "

I cannot agree with this.  I had a friend who has a lot of GS.  He got a huge contract out of country and was extremely busy.  We are talking 60-70 hours a week.  When that ended he actually secured another.  He ended up being out of country almost 2 years.  When he came home he did not play Xbox at all since it was such a short time.  He did not actually sign in to his Xbox account for 19 months.  Now that he is back and will only do local jobs he plays a lot more.  

And a friend of my son actually spent over a year in the middle east active duty and never signed in.  And just never signed in to Xbox.  Just recently returned and started playing Xbox again.  

My oldest son actually went to basic training.  He was ROTC but had already signed up for National Guard and they could not get him out of basic.  January-June.  Well, at the very end of basic he hurt his knee.  So he had passed everything except for the last run.  Missed by 37 seconds due to his knee.  Just could not make pace.  They did not inform the recruiter (whatever his position is) like they were supposed to.  So the recruiter calls us and is talking and we informed him that he had missed the final run.  That is when we found out that after 8 extra weeks of waiting to come home they decided to recycle him for 2 weeks.  My son claimed his knee was fine but he missed the run.  He came home late June (almost July).  Went to the doctor and he has a tear in his knee that could need surgery.  If he had kept telling them of the pain he would have received a medical "something" and it would have been 8 months longer.  That would have put him at 14 months.  

So I can think of a few situations where 1 year is not near enough.  Sure, that is rare but no reason for 1 year.  And I can understand needed to release them and 5 years is plenty and maybe overly excessive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@brand, I guess it would put the responsibility of the GT on the user if that was the case.  18 months in Asian, make sure your Gold is topped up for 24 months (buy annual memberships on sale, or monthly) and no issues if you are physically going to be "offline" if you will.....  just my opinion...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah that would work too. There would be ways around it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah requiring Gold or you lose your gamertag is a really smart idea... That would be the end of Xbox if they ever did something that stupid.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Or a way to force DRM by not allowing things to work, even offline after so long a time. (Digital Games/DLC etc)"

Put down the tin foil and step away slowly. It doesn't say anything about losing your account or it's content, just the GT.

I'm glad to see them doing this since there are tons of gamertags that haven't been used in years and likely never will be.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 93 Applies to: