xbox taking over my home wifi signal

I bought 2 xboxes for my my 2 sons and both came with wireless controllers. Now my wifi doesn't work on my laptops anymore or it is very sporadic and will only work 1 or 2 minutes at a time. If I unplug the xboxes and take the batteries out of the controllers, then the wifi works fine like it should. How do I remedy this without getting rid of the xboxes?? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Try changing the channel on the WiFi in the router.  It could be due to interference and changing the channel should remedy that.

You're doing two different things that aren't necessarily proving that the controllers are causing the interference.

Switch off the controllers, without unplugging the consoles and you'll likely find that this "interference" is still happening. It's unlikely that your controllers are interfering with your wifi, due to the fact that they work on an entirely different band. It's more likely that your Internet bandwidth, or your router, isn't coping with having so many devices on at the same time.

The following link is for a free programme that you can use to monitor all the wi-fi signals in your area, therefore allowing you to set your router to a channel that has no interference from other wi-fi sources.

www.metageek.net/.../inssider

[quote user="NervyMist9672"]If I unplug the xboxes and take the batteries out of the controllers, then the wifi works fine like it should.[/quote]That's because the 360 consoles themselves send regular bursts of 2.4Ghz chatter into the air looking for controllers, even when powered off. The only way to prevent that interference is to put them in some sort of RF shielded enclosure. Not ideal.

As others have said, try another channel on your router.

ok. I will try. Thanks for the help.