Xbox speed test

Why when I do a speed test on the xbox is it slower then what my laptop reads? Both are hard wired but the speed reading on xbox always results in being a few Mbps slower. I have read issues about latency being high because it goes to the Seattle servers. Would this be the reason for the slower speed reading?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

Choose a different server with your laptop and watch those numbers change. You can only download as fast as the server you're connecting to will allow.

Thanks that makes sense now 👍

I haven't noticed my speeds changing, but have noticed latency is though the roof. Usually run about 30ms  testing states around me. Testing with the X1 gives me around 90 to 107; which is roughly what I get with testing from the Detroit, MI area to Modesto, CA. If I test Washington state, I'm creeping up to 200ms sometimes.

>

Peace, J.R.

I get 26ms on my iMac and PC but close to 200ms on my Xbox. I hear it's something to do with the servers being based so far away. Hopefully there is a long term solution for this as I can sometimes get quite bad lag on CoD and I don't want to have trouble with playing online when my 360 performed so well with every game I bought.

I get the latency prob. It's usually 27ms on the laptop but 160ms through the xbox. Just thought its coz I'm in the uk. My download is around 7mbps on the laptop (not the best I know 😞) but is around 5mbps on the xbox. Can't wait for the summer when my area gets fibre BB.

Well there are 3 server farms one in Ohio, I think Florida and one near Seattle I think. I'm 100% on the ones in Ohio and one near Florida but not sure about the other one

[quote]Well there are 3 server farms one in Ohio, I think Florida and one near Seattle I think. I'm 100% on the ones in Ohio and one near Florida but not sure about the other one[/quote]

Are they up and running in Ohio? My latency shouldn't be as high as it is with the X1 testing to Ohio.

>

Peace, J.R.

I'm in Florida & I can vouch for higher than usual latency - I think it's simply the service taxing the console via the Cloud.

I dont think there is a way to check on the server locations itself only as a whole sadly from support.xbox.com/.../xbox-live-status only MS has that ability it could be totally possible that one of them could be down