Xbox Slim overheats after 5 minutes then works fine??

Hi there,

I bought an Xbox slim in september... it worked perfectly until about a week ago. When I start it up, it'll boot up and run fine for 5-10 minutes then tell me it's shutting down to prevent overheating. I've taken every precaution to avoid this, both my console and power brick are very well ventilated. anyway. after it turns itself off and flashes red for a while (15 minutes), I can start it up again and it will run fine for 8+ hours.The power brick is fine, it stays green the whole time and never feels anything more than luke-warm.

The only theory I can come up with it that the heat sink gets too cold when it's turned off (I don't heat my apt) and doesn't draw the heat away from the processors fast enough when it first starts up... then again I know next to nothing about electronics and everything I've read says cold is an xbox's best friend. Obviously my console still works for the most part and this isn't a fatal hardware problem.. but.. it's very annoying having to wait 20-30 mins before I can start actually using my console. I would be greatly appreciative of any possible solutions - I seem to be the only person on the internet with this issue...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Well if it's not too late you could try returning it to the store for an exchange.  Barring that you should contact support to set up a repair for the console.  There shouldn't be a charge as it should still be under warranty.

support.xbox.com/contact-us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.