xbox slim overheating

We had trouble with noises from the power brick from the beginning. I should have returned it, but after a few minutes it would stop humming and settle in. Well needless to say, 2 years later, now the system doesn't run 20 minutes and shuts down completely. I just bought a brand new Microsoft Brick power supply with the new cord. No humming, but system is still shutting down. No warning, it just dies. After a while it will turn on again, so I am assuming it is overheating. We have no additional funds for a new Xbox. Now Santa's Infinity gift is useless.  Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hi there - first thing's first, let's run through a few basic things that might be causing the problem. 1. Is your console in a well ventilated area? 2. Have you tried using a compressed air canister (specifically for computers!) to try and clean out any dust that may be within the console? 3. What colour is the power brick? 3. Does the power light on the console ever show any other colour than green - i.e. red?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My brick is overheating and shutting down the system, had the xbox over 2 years been ok, untill past 6 months. havent moved anything or changed anything, brick is very hot to touch and has the red light on????????????    do i need a new brick?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.