xbox slim making quiet high pitched beep and snap sounds

I have about 2 months old xbox360 Slim and after playing a game for about 15-45 minutes I can hear a very quiet and short beep-sound that is followed by quiet "snap". Sometimes the music/sounds in the game freeze for the duration of the beep and will continue after the snap sound. Sometimes the whole game seems to freeze for the duration of this.

I have tried to have the box on horizontal and vertical positions and it doesn't seem to matter. After a while I always get the beep/snap sounds and occasional short freeze of the game. There is plenty of room around the box so ventilation should not be the problem...

I can only describe the snap sound as to something like you could hear when plastic (TV etc.) moves during heat expansion etc. At first I tought it's the fan going on or something, but I then realized that the fan is always on when the box is powered on...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 112 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Im wondering if this has anything to do with the CD drive. Do you notice any unusual scratches on the back of the game CD's???

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No. Haven't seen anything wrong with the dvds. I also install all games to the harddrive.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's odd. If you removed the hard drive and play from the disc, does that help at all?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this same problem, save for the freezing part. Have you tried unplugging the power cord and HDD? That's what I plan to do once I have free time to play my 360(probably tomorrow).

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I have some new info.

Haven't played straight from the DVD and haven't tried to remove the HDD.

I have tried to unplug the power cord and even tried it on different power outlet to see if it does anything. Didn't notice anything at all, the beep/snap still happened every time I started to play and had played for about 10-20mins.

I moved my power brick as far as I could from the xbox and now I'm pretty sure that the beep/snap sound is coming from the power brick and not from the console itself. I'm not 100% sure but almost. I'm speculating that something happens in the power brick when heat has build up enough or the temperature inside the unit has risen enough. But I just don't understand what the beep/snap is all about. Does the fan in the brick have different speeds etc and this sound would be from triggering it or something? And the biggest problem is that why should any of that affect the games/sounds in the console?

Today while playing Halo Reach I heard the beep sound again and all the music in the game stopped. The gun sounds etc. still worked but for the duration of the beep (~1-2seconds) all the music was gone. After the snap the music came back. On another game (Sega Superstars Tennis) the background music was gone until the next level loaded...

So, this has happened on different games already. Some games freeze totally for the 1-2 seconds, some games like Reach only have their music stop or gone for a while. I know this is not supposed to happen so what should I do? I'm afraid that the power brick might damage the console during time or something and the freeze of games/sounds is quite the immersion breaker :(

Should I try to get a new power unit from MS or am I forced to return the whole console with everything to the store (I ordered and bought the console from internet based store so it's kinda hassle to send it back, and it costs too) ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Odd. Does the light on the power adapter change at all when this happens? If you can conclusively identify the power supply as the source of the noise, you can get a replacement from the Phone Support team. To reach them, click "phone" on the following page: support.xbox.com/pages/contact-us.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope it stays green all the time. I will continue to monitor the situation...

Sorry this didn't help.

Please do post if you solve the problem i have the same problem. And im on my 5th Xbox so i really dont wanna kill another...

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok. after numerous days of playing and testing I've finally now certain that the sound is coming from the box and not from the power brick (sorry to go back and forth with this).

The symptoms are still the same. After playing for about 5-30minutes, depending of the game, I hear the short and very quiet "beeep"-sound followed by the "snap" sound. It's like some sort of relay or something going on or off. I thought it was related to some cooling fan or something, but I don't understand how that would affect the games freezing and the sounds stopping for couple of seconds?

I'm quite sure this is not suppose to happen, but I'm afraid to send my console to MS for repairs because this problem is very unique and quite hard to notice or re-create unless you play with the same box much and listen to it very closely...  And I'm afraid I get billed or something and get the box back wihtout any repairs done and I'm back to square one.

Any suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Im new to xbox but was a pc gamer for many years always building my own systems , its difficult to pin down noises  but it sounds very much like an overheating issue maybe from a badly seated heat sink/heatsink paste. This would cause the ingame freezing. The clicking noise could point to the hard drive as apart from the fans its the only other moving part (apart from the disc drawer obviously) which again could cause the stuttering ingame.

you could maybe try to eliminate the hard drive by playing a game direct from disc (clear your hard drive cache first)

in either case unfortunately your gonna have to send it for repair , but if its only a few months old id assume the shop you bought iut from will just replace it?

Sorry this didn't help.