Xbox Slim Freezing continually... ( HDD Failure? )

I have been very patient with my xbox for the past few weeks. It has been very temperamental. I have tried to boot up halo 4 and it gets stuck with the 4 Logo on the screen or right afterwards, I let it sit for like 10 mins after that and it is just a black screen. Nothing.

I have been debugging in my free time over the last few days, and come up with little to show for it. Cleared the cache multiple times and deleted the installed version (recommended on halo boards). Finally I found a post that said to take out the hard drive and boot up the game. Which worked for me. It allowed me to boot up the game completely, which is more than I can say for the past couple months of booting up my games. Prior to this I was getting a lot of "Disc is Unreadable" messages but I guess that may have something to do with the hard drive at this point because it was a installed game.

I am curious if there is any type of replacement I can get for this HDD. It should be a relatively easy fix. It appears the hard drive has failed...?

I should have a 1 year warranty on this since I bought the console not too long ago...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 76 Applies to:

Yes, you should send your Xbox in for repair this is a for sure fix. You may also wish to try formatting your Xbox HDD this might be able to help which can be done from the memory section on your Xbox.

Linky link for Xbox repair: support.xbox.com/.../repair-process

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there! OK, so it's behaving itself when the HDD is out, but then freezes up again with the HDD in?  It doesn't sound like you need a repair, it sounds like you'll want to replace the hard drive.  Once you have a new drive you can use one of these babies to move over all of your game saves and other data: Hard Drive Transfer Cable

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately my warranty is up as of about a month and a half ago. I guess it has been longer than I thought. :o

I do not have a extra $130 to slap down for a new hard drive right now (Microsoft's Replacement Price)...

I have had several Xbox's Ermine, so I know this, but I am trying to avoid simply "Replacing the Drive". I am a student trying to live on a budget. Are there any other tests I can do with the drive to make sure it is not Faulty/Failing? Such as Cleaning the Cache?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Lunar! Dang, it's too bad that warranty is up! There are other steps we can try to see if we can get the HDD back in working order, though. :)

Inferior mentioned the step that comes to mind briefly in his post above - Have you tried re-formatting your hard drive device? Before you do, make sure to back up any game saves or content you don't want to lose to that USB formatted for your console!

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately Re-Formatting did not help with this issue...

Sorry this didn't help.

Any more suggestions on this?  I am having the same problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

also  seeing this issue now on my slim

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, TotallyBananass! This thread is really old. If you are having an issue related to the black screen on 360, please see this sticky by Mister Cerb. If you are experiencing another issue, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into.

Sorry this didn't help.