Xbox Slim - Edimax Br-6754n - WPA2-AES - Wont connect

Normal 0

Hi,

I have the following problem –

Purchased a brand new 250gb Slim yesterday, mainly to use in conjunction with my media centre pc. Unboxed it, plumbed it all in and started the set-up. Picked up the wifi no problem, full signal strength, entered the Wifi key and started the test – Unable to connect to the wireless network. (not just the internet, the wireless network)

Re-entered the key to make sure it was correct, tried again, same issue.

Rebooted the router, same issue.

I have the Edimax BR-6754n router, which I have used for the last 12 months with no issue. The wireless security is configured to WPA2-AES as this allows the full 300mbps wifi connection, which I use and all of my PC’s. In to the back of the router over Gigabit LAN I have a Synology NAS box, hence wanting the 300mbps wifi speed.

After some head scratching and googleing (Is that the term?) I turned off the wireless security and the Xbox connected perfectly, I updated the software as it prompted me to and I turned back on the security, hoping that in some way the update would fix my problem, unfortunately it hasn’t, I was stiull unable to connect.

I have checked Edimax’s website and I have the latest router firmware installed. Everything else on my network works perfectly and I always have great signal and 270mbps + connection speeds.

Clearly there is an issue with the security, the xbox.com site recommends WPA2-AES so I’m not sure what I can do, I obviously don’t want to run an unsecured network and I don’t want to lose the higher connection speed on all of my other equipment just to keep my Xbox happy.

Has anyone come across this issue before with an Edimax router? From the reading I’ve done some Belkin routers seem to have similar issues, I’m not sure if maybe the chipsets etc are a common part for Belkins and my Edimax.

The Xbox is in a different room to the router so an Ethernet cable is not a solution, besides what’s the point in having all this wireless kit if you have to resort to cables.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

Hey mate, does your router support a different kind of security setting? If so, you may want to give that a try to see if the Xbox 360 can connect then.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As Mister Fitzer suggest try different security methods  but its true that some routers/router firmware don't work properly with the Xbox so I would raise a ticket with Edimax to make them aware of the issue

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My router does support various other security settings but using any of them reduce my existing network speed, something I dont really want to do.

I sent Edimax a support ticket yesterday, not heard anything back yet.

Cheers,

Tom

Sorry this didn't help.