Xbox Slim and Elite hardrives

Hi my name is John,

My friend has recently bought bf4 and doesn't have a hardrive. I told him he could use his old hardrive from his elite into his slim through a youtube video. He is very scared that he might get banned, but I have been using my elite hardrive in my slim since november of 2010. I haven't been banned yet because I have been using the official 20gb hardrive i bought from the microsoft store. Could you please clarrify that you won't get banned for system tampering because this is one of your own microsoft official hardwares and I have been on live for 3 years using the old hardrive.

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

There is actually a sticky on the top of this thread that covers this very subject - forums.xbox.com/.../4558.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i dont understand why didnt i get banned if this was the case. I dont think this is tampering and ive been using this hardrive for 3 years now. Will they ban me?

Sorry this didn't help.

The enforcement team may just not have noticed yet. It wouldn't be an automatic banning if you log on with a hard drive like that. But it does put you at risk for being banned.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John

I think its impossible to get banned by using an OFFICIAL MICROSOFT 20GB HARDRIVE in a xbox slim.. The keyword is official, if you bought it from the microsoft store thats even more official. I called the xbox help line and they said that its okay that ive been using the 20gb hardrive in my slim for 2 years. There is 0 chance you will get banned, since almost all of my friends have been using this techinque from youtube. I feel like if microsoft doesn't want us removing their covers just to save 100$ on a hardrive when the xbox one is coming out, they shouldve made a 20gb specificly for the slim. Also if they call that system tampering, we are not using any software, we are simplier taking out the hardrive from its case and placing it in an xbox. If this was system tampering, why microsoft make the old hardrives fit the slim. I think this is just a scare tactic that is trying to make you spend a ton of money. So don't worry, use the old hardrive the xbox one is coming out soon.

Have fun!

Sorry this didn't help.

Static- If you read the sticky, it's against the terms of service to use the older model hard drives in a Slim even though it is technically an official hard drive. So yes it is possible to get banned by using one.

Sorry this didn't help.

You do take a risk when using a hard drive from and older model console.

-

www.xbox.com/.../livetou

-

Section 1.9 states.

-

Attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Services, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Services, or any hardware associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device. If you do, we may cancel your account and your ability to access the Services, and pursue other legal remedies. We may take any legal action we deem appropriate against users who violate our systems or network security, this Agreement or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in it. Such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Gaming, something all gamers do, no matter which system they use.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can someone explain to me why using the old hardrive would result in a ban? We aren't damaging anyone or anything, we aren't cheating, we just want to paly battlefield 4 because someone from microsoft wants us to spend 120$ for a hardrive. Why doesn't someone create an update that will make these "2gb flashdrives" into hardrives, then we wouldn't be going to other means. PS I bought a PS4 cause microsoft just only cares about cash cash cash, nothing about the customers.

Sorry this didn't help.

as its modified to work - the 20gig was not designed to go into the slim - yes it may work but its not an official drive for the "Slim" if picked up by the enforcement team you can be banned.

Sorry this didn't help.