XBOX Shutting down

My XBOX has shut down unexpectedly, the power brick goes from green to red. i imagine its the internal breaker shutting off. I can unplug it and plug it back in and the system works again. It seems the brick is overheating. This is a new slim version, do I need to get a new power adapter? Has anyone experienced this? I don't leave it on for hours at a time i can't understand why it would overheat for any other reason than its just gone bad. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Sounds like the power supply itself will need to be replaced.

Hit this link:  http://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-360/troubleshoot/hardware/check-power-supply and go through the page completely.  You will see a link on this page that will walk you through ordering a replacement power supply unit if necessary.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, it says if it stays red after unplugging and plugging back in to replace it. Mine works fine after that until it overheats and trips the breaker(which I guess isn't fine). I'm curious if there is anything that I can control that is causing the overheat.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would just get it replaced.  Especially if you are still in the warranty window.  I wouldn't mess around with anything that could potentially start a fire.

Sorry this didn't help.