Xbox seems to be heating up recently

So I had a question.  I just wanted to confirm if overheating is the issue.  Basically, today I popped in the new DMC game, installed it, and fire it up.  I noticed the fans were going extremely loud and couldn't figure out why.  So I popped off the bottom half of the case, the outer part, and started the console up.  It was quiet like it usually is, put the case back on, started it, and the fans went high again.  So I'm guessing too much heat, any help?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

I'm not sure if it's the fan or not. It sounds like it. Just be careful about opening your console. You don't want to void any type of warranty if it does need a repair.

Just make sure it is in a well ventilated area. I bought little rubber feet that were sticky on one side. I put them under the console to allow more airflow. They cost about a dollar.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As bradiesel1 said, try moving it to a well ventilated area. my way is i'd open a window a tiny bit. Also invest in a intercooler,they work wonders.

Sorry this didn't help.

is it normal for the power box to make a little noise?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello there!

Consoles can be prone to overheat, of which when they do (if you have the older models of the console, such as the core and not the Xbox360 Slim) then two red lights will appear on your console which indicates the the console is overheating. You can read more about this, if you like, by clicking here. HERE is also a link, showing you how to care for you console and demonstrates how your system should be set up for the best ventilation possible. It is normal, especially for the older models, for a little noise to be made. However I would still advise referring to my previous links, just to be sure. Also, power packs should not be making to much noise however, a little noise can just be normal!

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted!

Link.

Sorry this didn't help.

The warranty expired long ago sadly.  It got the RRoD a year after I got it.  Sent it back to MS and they repaired it.  I was under the impression once they fixed a RRoD on your console it wouldn't happen again.  My brother told me that so I don't know if there's any truth to that.  But this all happened after I had to clean the laser that reads the disks.

Sorry this didn't help.

If your console was repaired, it can malfunction again. There are a lot of different things that can go wrong such as the disc drive, internal wifi etc etc. If one problem gets fixed it doesn't mean that nothing else will need a repair down the road.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Sorry this didn't help.

You may want to see if there is excessive dust buildup on the inside of your console, this can easily cause the excessive noise and heat build up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dust build up is the likely cause here.  The console has temperature sensors, when the heat builds up, the fan speeds increase to keep the system cooler.  My old Arcade model Xbox 360 has this issue.  It works fine, but it's quite noisy now.

You may be able to give the grills a going over with a low powered vacuum, but the results will be extremely limited I'm afraid.  Some people may suggest a can of compressed air, but this too is pretty pointless since there is no where for the dust to go.  Once the machine comes back on, the dust will just settle back where it was before.

Smoking can be really bad for modern games consoles and computers since smoke from cigarettes turns into mucky liquid when it cools, mixes with dust and then sticks to fans and heatsinks.

The only sure fire way of getting a noiseless console is to either get this one repaired or buy a new Slim Xbox 360.

Sorry this didn't help.