Xbox scratches games

i bought my xbox in january this year.  i only have four games for it so far but jsut recently it has developed a problem, it has put a deep scratch neatly all the way round everysingle one of my games. i was just playing multiplayer when a notice poped up and sayed "disc unreadable" please clean the disc. when i pulled the disc out i found the neat scratch and i thought it was a one off but then it done it to another. so i stopped playing it but without me knowing my brother carried on playing the other two games and scratched them aswell. i did not move the console at all. please help me and post any advice thank you. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

If the scratch is circular, check the CD tray for foreign matter and possibly a plastic burr on the tray.  Use a clean lint free cloth to gently wipe the tray.  There could be a grain of sand(or salt) or other similar small object on the tray that is scratching the disks as the disk comes to a stop on the tray after spinning.

If the scratch is straight across the disk, open the tray and carefully look in the open slot (us flashlight if needed) for a foreign object or plastic burr and wipe clean with a clean lint free cloth.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I bought my Xbox 360 in October 2012 and have found that it randomly scratches games with the ring as mentioned in this thread ... I've also read that this is not something uncommon and has been investigated by more than one consumers associations, yet Microsoft refuses to recognise the issue, citing the same as above ... it must be the fault of the user. I have checked that the tray and reading surface is void of any foreign matter such as grains or dust and have never moved the console whilst turned on or even with a game disc inside the machine ... I have tried changing the position of the xbox from standing to laying down, yet the problem still occurs. I also work in the industry, so am not ignorant to the proper treatment of consoles, nor the issues that can commonly arise. So far I have had 5 games completely destroyed in this manner and at 60 - 70 euros a pop, this is not a matter to brush off lightly. I have seen that MS replace games, though only MS games and at a $20 fee ... something I find repugnant to be completely honest. Does anyone know if MS is doing anything serious about this issue or will I have to weigh in with any consortium I can find that plan on bringing legal action against Microsoft (if that would even do any good at all)? .... I've been holding off on this for now accepting the fate, but after the latest brand new game has been destroyed, I'm getting more than annoyed and fear placing any game in the machine for fear of it becoming unplayable  ... Being a Playstation owner since the first console was launched, I'm starting to think I should have stuck with SONY and never converted over to Xbox!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, if your disc has a circular ring around the disc, it will completely ruin your disc, this happens when you move the console while it is on and the game is in it and it will ruin the game.

Sorry this didn't help.