XBOX Rip off

Sure it will not get printed.

Not had an xbox for 2 years or there abouts, after major operation two years ago, loss of right arm then parkinsons to boot playing games was the last thing i thought about.  Just started to get using a pc again and my good lady says to me what is this £4.99 we are being charged everry month for the last few years.  Well it turns out to be my xbox gold account.

Unlike any other company it turnsd out good old microsoft are able to continue charging you even when you card number changes.  Do not care if you have not logged in for over two years quoting some guff in the contract so accept when setting up the account, which nobody reads and they rely on that fact.  Turns out if I died which I nearly did they would have carried on charging my wife until she died or we no longer had an account.

Now they have stopped taking the money but will not refund what they in effect legaly stole from us.

Be warned these perople are bullys.

Wonder is this will get posted but no worry plenty of othert sites.

scan

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is the account holders responsibility to notify MS of any changes in their account status. If you didn't turn off auto renewal then MS would not know to stop allowing you to use the service that they are providing to you as a paying customer. There is nothing for them to refund as they have provided you with a service as per their Terms of Service agreement.

6.2. Your Billing Account

You must provide a payment method at the time you sign up for a Service. You can access and modify your billing account information (including changing your payment method) on the Billing and Account Management website (https://billing.microsoft.com). You agree to keep your billing account information current at all times. We may cancel your Service if we do not receive payment from you. Changes made to your billing account will not affect charges we submit to your billing account before we reasonably could act on your request.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As a banker, I see this sort of thing all of the time. The largest issue here is that regardless of your situation, you should have been checking bank statements on a monthly basis. We are blamed regularly for our customers inability to balance checkbooks or keep track of charges. However, most processes, including fraudulent charges, have to be filed within 60 calendar days in order to attempt a return or refund of those charges. It's not Microsoft's fault that you neglected your finances, or neglected to appoint someone as a power of attorney to handle your affairs during your surgery and recovery. Your story may pull some strings that may get you your money back, or you can attempt your own bullying by contacting media outlets and see if someone will back your story (MS may cave to the bad publicity and refund your charges), but it ultimately is your fault. A few years without checking statements is extremely irresponsible and dangerous.

Also, Microsoft has no way of obtaining the correct information to bill you unless it is provided. There is no database available that just provides them with your credit card number.

Sorry this didn't help.

Retom7, I have canceled my gold account and they still charge me, so i completely believe this guys story,  I had to contact my bank and not allow xbox to charge me at all ever again to fix xbox's shady dealings, so although your response is both professional and logical,  in my opinion its wrong, Scan please contact me, I am filing a class action FCC complaint, and if afterwards i am not satisfied with the outcome, i wish to file a class action lawsuit, I am a disabled vet, I will find a good laywer, pls contact me.

Sorry this didn't help.

nope good luck with that

all cancelations are recorded on your service request number (notes on the case)

you MUST complete the call for an account to be canceled also PENDING balances are not refunded and can prevent cancelations and the call MUST be made before the renewal period not after

as stated before the only sure way to cancel an account with 90% of services is call support for your service

doing it via a 3rd party site like ebay for paypal does not cancel it due to the terms of use of xbox live

Sorry this didn't help.

No disrespect intended, but you have no clue of what you speak of, you can cancel your recurring gold subscription via the xbox live website, you do not have to call, this is not a 3rd party website, its their website, when your done cancelling, your account now reads that it has no recurring billing attached, and when the gold subscription will run out.

However they still charge, and let me be more detailed, I had a recurring subscription that went from the 4th of the month to the next 4th of the month, when these guys ripped me off, I canceled my gold account (On the 15th of the month) on the 16th one day after i canceled, they charged me again, when i called customer support to find out whats up, they told me " Oh your bank made a mistake this was the charge that was supposed to go through on the 4th, but they held it back until the 16th", So I call my bank, ask then to research this, they gave me paperwork proving that on the 4th i paid the Gold Subscription, and then on the 16th they tried to charge me again, I have all the documentation i need to prove that xbox steals from their customers, so to be a fan boy on this subject is just defending a group of people whos only desire is to take and keep your money by whatever means they can, you wish me good luck with that ? heh dude, you have no clue, I do not need luck I have more than enough proof to prove my case, however monetarily its very low with just my complaint, hence the desire to add more disgruntled  customers to my case, so that a lawsuit will be lucrative.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know it is deemed to be my fault, and I even accept by the letter of there contract which 99.9%of people do not read it is my fault.  My other half runs our account and was not aware what the payment was for and she assumed it was okay.  It was sheer luck she asked me.  The reason's I am truly upset about are,

1.  Microsoft must know the account has not been logged in to for over 2 years.  Why no contact from them to see why?

2.  My card expired and a new one was issued, this caused a lot of  pain with direct debits which I had to resolve but not with this account it magicaly transfered to the new card number.  I dont doubt there is some text in the initial sign up that covers this.

3.  If I had died they would be stealing from my wife now who is not computer savy.

All I am asking is be fair, why no notification from them to say why are you not using accout?  easy to set up to be automated.  I feel they are taking advantage of ignorance, they are trading unfairly and again if I died why should my partner continue to be screwed.  The helpdesk said " Yes my wife would continue to be charged even though she has no conecction or ability to resolve this.

Surely they have a duty of care/consideration to the Customer, surely it would be simple enough for them to set there charging system to flag idle accounts?

Dcosper I am UK based so not sure if I can help you but willing if I can.

Sorry this didn't help.

Refrence 6.2 in your statement above,

(https://billing.microsoft.com). You agree to keep your billing account information current at all times. We may cancel your Service if we do not receive payment from you. Changes made to your billing account will not affect charges we submit to your billing account before we reasonably could act on your request.

my card number changed, I did not give them it they took it, your the banker how did that happen?

Sorry this didn't help.

Scan I cant find an exact match in the laws for UK for you, but here is a site that might help.

www.uklawreview.com/.../your-right-to-a-refund-defective-product-law-and-the-sale-of-goods-act

Its not what your problem consists of, however it may be a good starting point for you, also Contacting the Fair Trade Commission works wonders.

Sorry this didn't help.

See below, just took this from my account details, this card has expired and as it says below you have no valid payment options on file??????

So how did they manage to carry on taking payments?????  thanks for info dcosper

Visa: ****1649

Expiry Date: 31/05/2011  Edit

Remove

You have no valid payment options on file.

Sorry this didn't help.

no only the US has that option to remove autorenewal ALL other regions MUST call in

when clicking manage account

it says to TURN off autorenewal you MUST call support in your region

as per the terms of use

Sorry this didn't help.