xbox restarting over and over, video issues

i have an older xbox, it has been sent in once years ago for red ring... was fixed and has been fine since. i connect to my lcd hitachi tv with the VGA cord into my PC input and the red and white cables running to my stereo. At first I thought this was a problem with my TV, but i have tried swapping out the cable for the good ol red white and yellow plugs and that works... sort of. The issue I am having is that out of no where my xbox is restarting itself. There is nothing wrong with the power brick, the xbox is in a decently ventilated place, standing up, and has never had this issue before. When it restarts itself, most of the time i lose video signal- my tv doesnt even recognize a signal. Then it will sit there and keep restarting itself every 20 to 30 seconds or so. Every once and a while, i get video back, and can use it for a little bit, but it keeps restarting. I have gotten no error codes, i have turned everything off and on again attached and re attached everything... I have no clue what the problem is. Tech said i can send it into repairs for 80 bucks... i would if it red ringed or something... but it works! just not consistently... im so confused! then he just reccomended that i buy a new console. but the 99 dollar console he sent me a link to requires 2 years of xbox live... i already have a subscription. spent all day trying to solve this problem... at my wits end... Thank you for any help so much

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I've been there myself on the older white arcade model.

check the connection between the VGA cable and xbox first.. make sure it's clean, no dust in video port on xbox itself.

also, if you have the old composite/component cables, try connecting with those to check to see first if it's not the cable itself that is bad, before worrying about the Xbox console. Please let me know if that helped narrow down the problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply, Hammer. I have tried multiple cables, including the component, old school yellow plug video and also a vga cord as well. I can occasionally get it to work again by trying the "hold y and RT" at startup and resetting the video... but then usually a few minutes in the console restarts and i lose video again. I have also tried plugging my laptop into my tv using the same ports and had no problems there. Looks like my xbox is just broken. Sad, because I haven't abused/hacked it in any way. No red ring, failed power supply or anything. Just failbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry to tell you, but I believe your graphics card is going, and not sending the error code. Your best bet would be to send it in, to have it re furbished for the $60. Honestly, that's what I would do. That way you know the box is in good condition when you get it back, and it saves you the cost of buying a new machine. If you need ,I can give you the link to have the repair done, if you need. Just let me know.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, so you've confirmed that it's the console itself that's restarting and restarting, yeah?  Not just the video going out?  In that case, I'm with whoever you talked to about this- it's sounding like it needs a service.  One more thing I could think to try of first: please remove all accessories (including Kinect sensor if you've got it, and your internal hard drive if you have one) and see if it behaves that way.  If it does behave, you can start adding the accessories back on, but otherwise you know that it's the system itself.

Sorry this didn't help.