Xbox refusing to rip CD tracks

Hi, I just got NHL 14 and I'm trying to use the custom music options... I discovered that you can't simply plug a USB into your xbox but that you actually have to burn a bunch of CDs and rip them all to your xbox if you want your own music.

to my dismay, my Xbox would only rip half of one of the CDs, showing a bunch of the little NO icons (circle with a line through it) for every other track on every other CD.

I've converted the songs to a plethora of formats by now (wma, wav, mp3) before burning a CD with them and the Xbox still refuses to rip. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

For clarification, the CDs work fine. They play without issue on the Xbox and otherwise, but won't rip. This is really frustrating.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 838 Applies to:

ok...a few things.

You can store a few MP3's (some formats may not work) onto a usb and play them that way. I did this for a while when I got my new hard drive since it had no music stored on it. A few things to note with this is the folder limitations. Dont just put 1000 songs on a drive and leave it at that, try to make a bunch of folders and sub folders.
When reading MP3 tracks from any device, the xbox will only read the first 50 files. So if you have an artist with 5 albums, dont just have a folder that says the artist's name and throw all of their track into it. Have the main folder and inside that a sub folder for every album..this way every single track can be read by your console.

That happened to me on my new HDD. I have a USB with a live album that consisted of a 4 night event with every song in order, back to back but that 1 folder has over 100 tracks so I needed to break them down into subfolders Night 1-4.

When it comes to ripping a CD, it has to be an audio disc...not a data disc. If you have a CD-RW with 40 tracks stored as data, the 360 will play these while on the dashboard but it wont rip them.

When burning a disc, select audio format and while you're filling the disc with content, you should see a bar fill up that says 20 minutes out of 80 minutes used
instead of 100mb out of 700mb used.

When it comes to retail disc, the only time you wont be able to rip is if the CD itself has the anti piracy lock on it...and that would normally prevent you from ripping on anything.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I know your pain.

When I first got my console I ripped lots of CDs onto it, then one day it just wouldn't do it anymore.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.