XBOX randomly crashing when using AV + HDMI

Hi, I recently moved my 360 from the living room TV to a smaller monitor in my own room. Since this monitor doesn't have AV input or speakers, I had to get a third-party AV cable to allow me to use the HDMI input while simultaneously using speakers or a headset. This setup has worked fine on other devices, but since moving the XBOX to the smaller monitor I've had a myriad of issues. When I first set it up on the smaller monitor, I was unable to get it working at first, either receiving no signal to the monitor or no sound through the headset. I eventually worked around this by inserting the HDMI cable to the XBOX, booting up, then inserting the AV cable, after which the XBOX would reboot and work normally. Since then, the console has occasionally crashed and shut down, usually within a half-hour of turning it on. When this happened, I've had to repeat the workaround mentioned earlier. However, as of this morning that solution has stopped working entirely. Is there any way for me to use my headset along with HDMI without inevitably crashing? Thanks, Mr Caes

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

So, I just moved the XBOX to the living room and back. Console turned on first try, and no crashes yet. Problem solved, I suppose.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Aaaand it crashed moments after I typed that. Problem-- unsolved.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar issue with this on my older Xbox 360.  I had to use the HDMI for the TV/Monitor and the AV Cable to plug in my headsets through the Digital Optical on the AV Cable.  I had to use the HDMI first, and go into the system system settings and change the display properties from 1080p to 1080i or even down to 720.  Then turn off the console, hook the AV cable into it and boot it back up.   Hope this helps!

If not are you using the standard AV Red/White or Optical cable? and which Xbox 360 are you using?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately that didn't work either... Played a couple matches of Halo 4 and then a black screen. One thing I forgot to mention, the 360 does stay on after the crash. It just shows a black screen for a couple seconds, then my monitor's 'no signal' message. I'm using a 360 S, and my headset is plugged into the red/white ports on the adapter.

Sorry this didn't help.

If this is happening regardless of the TV it's being used on, the adapter could be bad, or going out.  I also had one with a Switch on it for Regular and HD (the XBOX one) and when it started going out, the Xbox would stay on, but the screen would go out with no signal as well!   If you can I would return the one you got for perhaps another one, or just get another one and give it a try.  It could some something as simple as that adapter being bad.   If that doesn't work, I'm lost, but I will continue to look for answers.  Please let me know if this works!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Mr Caes,

I am sorry to say that using an AV cable and HDMI at the same time from the console is not supported, which is why you may be experiencing the issue. I will say I have seen similar setups that have worked without issue, but they are not guaranteed. 

If you want to use HDMI I would recommend using the optical input built into the console if available. If you have an older console that does not have an Optical input build in, then you may want to use the AV cable as your video and audio output to utilize the audio setup you have with your monitor or TV.

Sorry this didn't help.