XBox "ONE"

I am sure I am not the only ONE thinking this, but if Microsoft's Xbox "ONE" requires a cable box to watch / record live TV then it should really be rebranded as the Xbox "two".  What is the point of "controlling the living room" if I have to dole out cash on a cable box???  Here is my current setup in the living room (I use an Xbox 360 to stream TV to my bedroom)

•  TiVo w/ cable card
  • Blu-ray player (a shiny new Samsung that supports all my favorite streaming apps like Plex and Samsung's AllShare isn't that bad)

To truly be the "ONE" we'd need to combine the two boxes above into "ONE" ... in summary this is what I envision for the "ONE":

1. No additional set top boxes - have a cable card slot and/or ability to stream from a media center PC
  2. Blu-ray player - hooray for Microsoft to realize HD DVD is garbage and universally loathed by everyone with a soul
  3. Streaming - All content from the PC ... hey Microsoft, there are other formats besides .WMV out there ... how about supporting formats people actually use routinely such as .MOV and .MKV? Some of us actually like ripping their DVD and Blu-ray discs so we can have a digital library ... if you don't support other containers then this isn't the "ONE"  --- let's just hope the "ONE" supports apps such as Plex so we can leverage our digital media
  4. Gaming - this is still a gaming console, right?  Just making sure...

I can't be the only person thinking that the name "ONE" is presumptuous unless it actually removes every other box from the media center (e.g., I'd love to take out the TiVo and have one box in my living room)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would have called it Xbox 3 since it's the 3rd Xbox not the 1st. I prefer to call it Xbox 1. You don't see me calling Xbox 360 Xbox Three Hundred and Sixty or Xbox Three Sixty. Xbox 1 is focused on gaming but also apps and TV. It surely wasn't an all-in-one entertainment console at launched when it didn't have

- voice messaging

- change the dash background

- USB file support like viewing pictures and videos from USB thumb drives

- external HDD support.

But now these missing Features Xbox 360 has is now on XBOX 1. Some people call it X1 or XBONE (they abbreviate X..B... and write one or mean X bone).

My Xboxone plays games just fine. I want it to do it all.

I'm a "gamer"....  I WANT to be able to use the X1 for everything (which I do)... so DONT speak on my behalf.... if you want a game console go buy a Sega Genesis or a Nintendo....

-

As for focusing on gaming..... the Elite Controller should prove MS is about gaming...

Then why, on any given night, are half of my friend list watching TV, Netflix, HBO GO, or some other media app? Because they want a console to only game and not play media as well? /s

I love xbox, I've been a true to heart Xbox fan since the original Xbox released, but it's become more of a media console that plays games then an actual gaming console. Same with playstation. I just wish Xbox could become more gaming oriented then focusing on tv , and other media. Gamers want a console that's designed to game, not something that's called a "gaming console" but In truth is a media console that plays games. I love xbox, again, don't get me wrong, I just wish it was more about gaming.

[quote user="A Natural Smell"]

If everything was in ONE box , and it broke , then what .....

Go outside , read a book , talk to my wife .... Nooooooooo !.

[/quote]

LOL now thats funny

[quote user="A Natural Smell"]

[/quote]

LOL now thats funny

I think that MS is smart enough to know that in 5 years most of us won't have cable boxes anyways... TV shows will be streamed. I barely watch TV as it is. If HBO had it's own app on the ONE dashboard I'd cancel my cable the day after.

"ripping it on your own is NOT legal"

It's called fair use here in the United States.   Mostly, or in general, legal and/or unenforceable.   Copy right owners may have recourse to pursue if say you are allowing others to copy or download from you.   Most of this type of stuff really hasn't been adjunicated on a large scale.