xbox public relation dept: refund request/ case 1174051358

We had a problem with an Xbox Gold account (Dumb Blond Guy)that we thought we had dropped, deleted or not renewed when we switched to a 12 month account (Greybierd).. however it continued to bill at $7.99 then $9.99 a month to our American Express credit card, which my wife and I foolishly (blindly) paid for close to 3 years without questioning it. The initial mistake was ours because we allowed our son to set up these accounts. My Son is not clear on the exact details or sequence, but it went something like this. When we first purchased the Xbox Live we had Dumb Blond Guy. I think that Dumb Blond Guy was a minor account and could not access or play certain games. Then I wanted to try to play with my son and we set up Greybierd on a different credit card, a 12 month account which could play all of the games without the minor restrictions (I sucked at playing and did not look at the Xbox at all after a short period) Then our Xbox Live machine broke down and got te "red ring" somehow and you guys, to your credit sent a replacement. My son acessed the Greybierd 12 month account because it could play all of the games. We clearly made the mistake here and I'll admit I was clueless at that point as to how our accounts were set up. He did not access the Dumb Blond Guy account with the new replacement xbox, and he thought and told me that we had dropped it. From that point on we never touched or looked at Dumb Blond Guy and I at that point was not very involved with the xbox and was under the impression that we had only the Greybierd 12 month account. This is where we made the costly mistake and when once a year the 12 month renewal would come up on the Visa card, I'd renew it. At the same time the Dumb Blond Guy would bill $7.99 then $9.99 to our American Express which my wife manages and we were blindly paying it (thinking perhaps this was the annual membership being broken down into monthly installments), but nobody ever used that account and we thought it was gone. Our bad for not catching it, questioning it and stopping it. The $9.99 was just one more small charge on the credit card, lumped in with our other credit card charges and interest and went undetected, never being stopped. We would like to continue with Xbox, but we felt it got out of control with two accounts on the 2 credit cards. We were requesting that in good faith and as a good public relations gesture that our blunder could be seen, understood and forgiven by xbox and refunded since you will see there was no activity for over a 2 year period of time. We realize that we are just one among millions of xbox accounts to you, but even though we foolishly paid it, we don't have that kind of money to throw away. Bottom line is we made a mistake, thought we had cut back to just one account, never used the 2nd account over more than a 2 year period because we thought it was gone. However we were billed and paid for the 2 accounts on different credit cards. Upon realizing our mistake I contacted your customer service hoping that our payments for the unused period of time could be refunded or credited somehow to a 12 month membership which we would monitor and stay on top of much better. However, the request was coldly denied by customer service and we were told there was no way your system could allow it. Even though we had made the mistake, we had hoped that a good PR gesture of a credit could be allowable but you were not flexible on this matter at all. Ouch! For the time being we cancelled both and took a credit for what ahd already been paid. Please work with us here. Sincerely and hopeful, Frank Horan [mod removed: do not post phone numbers]

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I'm not sure why they should be pay for your mistakes. You're told about auto renewal and how it works in great detail before signing up. If you or your son didn't read the agreement or the auto renewal part then again that's a mistake on your part and MS aren't liable for it. I side with customer support on this, if you start letting people off because they didn't read the agreement then you have to start giving refunds to everyone else who claims the same thing.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings Grey BIERD. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I understand that billing issues can be frustrating, and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. However, I'll need to ask you to get in touch with phone support again. They will be able to continue to assist you with the billing issue. Thank you in advance for your understanding. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sorry this didn't help.

So you think you should get a refund for the entire time you didn't use the XBL service on that account? Sorry but that isn't how it works. Mainly because for that entire time, regardless of wether or not you used it, they provided you with a service. It would be no different if you paid for cable tv for the entire time but did not use it.

Sorry this didn't help.