XBox only visible in network map when laptop connected through ethernet

I have spent countless hours going around in circles trying to get the Windows Media Centre working with the extender so then I tried to just do basic file sharing. It works but only when my laptop is connected to the router via ethernet cable. When it is connected via cable I can see the XBox in my network map and I can then use my XBox to stream  video files from my laptop but then when I connected to my router via WIFI the XBox is not in my network map and I cant stream files because my XBox can't connect to my laptop.

I have my firewall completely uninstalled and all that port forwarding done and UPnP configured but by now at least I know it can work on my home network but what do you think could be the problem by just changing from ethernet to WIFI? I still have the same private static IP and am on the home network.

Any help would be great thanks. I am slowing getting there.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

Moving to the Using my Console section.

Microsoft Movies & TV Team

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there David,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your Media Center extender.

A couple questions that may help us sort things out:

1. Are you able to connect to Xbox LIVE wirelessly or only through wired?
  2. What make and model is your modem?
  3. What make and model is your router?

There are several things that can interfere with wireless connectivity for your console.

For example:

• Try disconnecting any third party headsets you may have.
  • Check for Sources of Wireless Interference

• Active interference
    • Active interference is caused when other electronic devices are broadcasting either a wireless signal or some other form of electromagnetic interference. Common causes of active interference are microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, CRT televisions, Turtle Beach wireless headsets, baby monitors, other wireless networks, cordless phone systems, and wireless speakers.
    • Note Many other electronic devices can also cause interference. Try to minimize any potential causes of interference by removing any electronic devices that are between your Xbox console and your wireless router.
  • Passive interference
    • Passive interference occurs when a wireless signal passes through objects. This causes the wireless signal to be weakened and refracted. Materials that cause passive interference include concrete, glass, lead and copper piping, insulation, mirrors, gun safes, filing cabinets, tile, and plaster. The wireless signal also degrades over distance.
  • Line of sight
    • When dealing with active or passive interference, a critical component to consider is line of sight. Draw an imaginary straight line from your router to your Xbox console, and try to eliminate as many points of interference as you can along that line. You can do this by turning off or moving any devices along that line that could cause active interference. Or, you can move the console or router to minimize passive interference. Moving the devices outside of entertainment cabinets or desks can often help improve wireless signals. If you use the Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter, you can extend the USB cable, which allows you to move just the adapter to a more direct location.

There are a few other things that may be the culprit but I'd like to narrow it down with those questions first so that we don't send you on a wild goose chase. It might be as simple as trying a different port on your router.

Please let us know the answer to those questions or if those 2 examples work out and we'll go from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey sorry I have just seen your reply there. I could not find my post until now because it was moved.

I can connect to XBox Live while using Wifi.

I have since given up on using the extender through media centre and just stream the files through windows media player which works but still with a small but of trouble but overall I am happy.

Sorry this didn't help.