Xbox One X Just broke a game disc. Outside of warranty period.

Hello,

So I literally just stuck a brand new copy of Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order into my Xbox One X about 30minutes ago, heard a loud noise as it went in then it recognised the game. I have taken the disc out immediately and now there is a chunk missing from the disc, which I'm 100% certain will now be laying in the bottom of my disc drive.

My problem is that I purchased my One X in November 2018, did not register it, and I'm fairly sure it only has a 1 year warranty meaning that it would be pointless for me to register it now as the time period has would have expired in November 2019.

I now fear that any disc inserted will suffer the same fate regardless of cd/dvd/blu-ray or game alike.

Tried to live chat with someone, noone's available apparently even though it's before 7pm on a Wednesday night.

Guessing that I'm stuck with digital games only, or forking out for a new console cause I'm not the kind of person who would open up a console to try and repair it knowing that I'll probably make it worse.

Image of said disc attached. Xbox has been horizontal since purchase, and never moved. Sad times, but any advice would be appreciated.

From the look of it, I'd say the disc was broken or cracked before you inserted it into the console. Don't open the console.

Use the contact us button on this Support page to arrange a repair.

I would also go back to where you bought the disc and check your options for replacement. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

From the look of it, I'd say the disc was broken or cracked before you inserted it into the console. Don't open the console.

Use the contact us button on this Support page to arrange a repair.

I would also go back to where you bought the disc and check your options for replacement. 

Hi AquarrzSudnnym, thanks for the quick reply.

I've registered my product, surprised to see that it's actually still within warranty until 2021 which is excellent and I'm on the send for repair section now.

Which option would be best in your opinion, "Mechanical Noise" or "Other" seeing as how it did detect the disc, but kindly returned it with a chunk missing?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Describe the issue as best you can because the more information you provide the quicker the resolution. Is there a heading for "foreign body" ?🧐

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow. So happy for you that it is still under warranty. We all fear anything breaking just outside the warranty period which is usually the case.

My question is, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SURVIVE WITHOUT YOUR CONSOLE? :)

My one friend actually has a spare console which he uses when he has to send in one for repairs 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Describe the issue as best you can because the more information you provide the quicker the resolution. Is there a heading for "foreign body" ?🧐

Ha, there isn't. It's a shame there's a character limit to how much you can type in the description, so I've just went with this:

"Disc inserted into console, heard loud grinding noise as it then detected the disc on the dashboard. Ejected disc, and there is a chunk missing which I am assuming is still inside disc drive. Scared to insert any further discs incase further damage occurs."

Wish me luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Wish me luck!"

Good luck👍

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A very odd situation, that I hope goes in your favour. :) Hope the plastic chunks haven't damaged the laser lens! :S

Best,

L

Xbox Ambassador since 2011. Always happy to help. :)

Problems with Xbox Services? Check here:
https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-live-status

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 943 Applies to: