Xbox One won't turn on consistently

My Xbox One does not turn on consistently. I try using the voice command, turning it on with the controller, and straight from the console. Sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in before it will turn on. I had it plugged into a power strip now it is plugged directly into the outlet and this is still happening.  I've run out of solutions other than unplugging it and plugging it back in then hoping it will turn on.  After it is on everything works fine and it doesn't turn off randomly or anything like that.

Is this happening to anyone else or does anyone have a solution?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

You are not the only one. This keeps happening to me randomly as we'll and I have yet to find a solution :(

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have resorted to turning off the instant on option.  I went into the power settings and changed it to energy save mode.  I don't have any trouble turning on the xbox anymore but now I cant use the voice command to turn it on... at least it works consistently now.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll probably have to resort to that as well.  I talked to them on their chat and they insisted it had to do with my NAT which I figured that is not the case but I went through with opening and forwarding the correct ports. Even after that it still persists.

Sorry this didn't help.

G'day all! I have a couple of things for you to try:

1. If your console is plugged into a power strip or surge protector, plug it directly into a wall outlet instead.
  2. If it's already plugged directly into the wall outlet, try a different outlet. This is a temporary solution.

If either of those solve the power-on issue, then something in the electrical system (either the power strip or wall outlet) is preventing the console from receiving the full amount of power it requires.

Give it a go, and please let us know your results!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem, and mine has been plugged into the wall (2 different places) and into a surge protector, with identical results.

Sorry this didn't help.

Misses Joust,

Like DoogieSF, I have tried all of that since that's what other threads have suggested, with no luck.  Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for trying those steps, guam and Doogie. I have another idea for you two to try, but I fully understand if you're not able to:

If a friend or family member also has an Xbox One console, see if you can borrow their power supply (temporarily!) to use on your console. See if the same behavior continues. If the power issue doesn't return, then we can confirm that the issue lies within your power supply and we can set up replacement orders.

However, if your console continues to behave the same way with the different power supply, then the issue may be with the console itself. Please let us know if you're able to try this; and what the results are.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem with my audio receiver.  It works like a quarter of the time.  I think it's just because it doesn't have a clear view of the sensor to turn it on.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you define the symptoms a little bit better?  When you press the power button, does the light on the console go on?  Do you see any HDMI signal?  Is it just a blank screen?

Sorry this didn't help.