Xbox One won't power on.

Ah, my Xbox One which I only had in December has developed a fault.  It won't power on.  The PSU is orange and when I press the power button on the front of the console I get the on chime sound, but the machine stays dead. 

When I try to turn on the console, the PSU does go white for about a second, then goes back to orange.  Is the power brick faulty or the console? 

I can't return to a store as it was obtained via the Microsoft online store in the UK.  When I call support, will I have to send the whole unit?  One of my games is still inside.  Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 58 Applies to:

Sorry for your issue. Did you try to hold the power button for 5-10 seconds?, this a soft reset. Did you try another AC outlet?. make sure AC cord plug in securely. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Obsessive:  You can manually eject your discs form your X1:  support.xbox.com/.../manually-eject-disc

As far as the lights on your PSU:support.xbox.com/.../power-supply-indicator  It should stay white when it is powered up.   Have you tried to unplug the power supply for a few minutes and retry it?  When you say it chimes but is dead are you saying it chimes, then the PSU light goes back to orange with no power?  Try my suggestion, and if that dont work I suggest you contact MS.

Sorry this didn't help.

This happen to me when i bought my Xbox one and tried turning it on the first time. As soon as i did the soft reset it turned on for me. But before i found out about the soft reset i called Microsoft and explained my power issue with console they never asked or told me about the soft reset.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the replies, but it's still dead. Can't do a soft reset as the power goes off while I'm holding the button. The light goes white then orange.   I'll bring back a paperclip from the office tomorrow and eject the disc, then I'll call support.  Thanks anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the exact same problem. I just got my xbox one today too. It's frustrating to say the least

Sorry this didn't help.

Going to test my console on my nephew's PSU, that should determine where the issue is. I think it's the power brick as yesterday the light went out when I was messing with it on the phone to the Support guys.

Sorry this didn't help.

This has turned out to be a rather odd and somewhat interesting problem!

First things first, It's working again.  However, I've just spent the best part of two hours unplugging, plugging back in and speaking to three support agents - who were all rather good though.  One was a really friendly Irish fella.

After doing all the un-plugging and plugging in, we tried to do a system boot with a USB flash drive, but the console still wasn't having any of it.  So I went with the faster replacement option, gave out my credit card, got a confirmation email and all that from the nice support man.

Ended the call.  Then for some reason, on removing the Flash drive I brushed past the power sensor, powering up console.  The console decided to work again!  Not wanting to risk anything I did a factory restore from the settings screen.  It seems (for now at least) to be working again and I'm re-downloading one of my games.  The machine is also booting up fine with both the off and Instant on power settings.

So now I'm going to get this new replacement console and I'm not entirely sure which one I should send back.  The new one or my original?  At moment, I'm thinking of still sending the original one as there is no guarantee this issue won't occur again. 

Sorry this didn't help.

^ strange indeed.  I would probably do the same as you - just make sure the replacement console works before sending your (now working :D) console back!

Sorry this didn't help.

^^ Yes indeedy. I'll be testing out the BD-drive specifically too.  Don't want to replace my console for one that has a faulty Blu-ray lol.    I've got about three digital games, but I have a 120Mb/s download so all's good having to download them again.

Sorry this didn't help.