Xbox One won't connect but Xbox 360 will

This has been a recurring issue since I bought an xbox one 2 weeks ago, every few days or so it will forget my home router and not auto connect. Last week it showed my home router but everytime I typed in the password it would say incorrect password despite it using the same password on my 360 and my laptop to get to the internet. I eventually had to change my router name and password to get the xbox one to connect. Is there a reason it is doing this? Or do I just have a defective xbox one?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I have had this and other networking weirdness occasionally, such as inability to obtain a DHCP IP even though none of my many other networked devices have that problem and I can see from my router logs that the Xbox One never even asks for an IP.  Usually, just going through wireless setup again makes it work.I believe it is attributable to bugs in the networking and settings code of the Xbox One OS.  In particular, I think the Xbox One's network settings get in a bad state somehow, and the One doesn't recover correctly from it, even when you manually change settings.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.