Xbox One won't boot up with the hard drive plugged in

My Xbox One simply won't turn all the way on with my hard drive plugged in. I have a Seagate 1TB hard drive that has worked great ever since I got it. Haven't played my xbox for a couple days and when I try to turn it on with the hard drive plugged in it makes the power up noise, the "X" lights up, and it almost acts like there's a short in my HDMI cable. Pretends to put something on the screen but then "No Signal". Unplug the hard drive and no problem. Starts up like normal and takes me to the dashboard. Any suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 25 Applies to:

Try this.  Disconnect the external HDD.  Do a hard reset on the console.  Hold the power button on the console for 10 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.  Plug the power cord back in and restart the console (DO NOT connect the external drive yet).   Once it is back up and operational  connect the external HDD and test for results.  Let us know.  Good Luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. As soon as I plug the external HDD in, it goes to the "trying to boot up" but doesn't. It almost sounds the the Xbox is restarting over and over again

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.