Xbox one with nat that keeps changing to strict!

hello, this is my first post here. I have a problem that has me pulling my hair out. My xbox one keeps changing its nat to strict. On some rare occasions I can check the detailed connection  (pull the triggers after the multiplayer check) and when I back out it will say Open. But sure enough next boot up it reverts back to strict. When my NAT is strict and I do the detailed connection check the NAT status says that I am behind a port-preserving port symmetric nat. Here is a list of things that I have tried

I set a static ip and used DMZ. 

I have made sure that UPNP was enabled. ( I even disabled it, rebooted router, re-enabled it and rebooted the router again)

I have set up port forwarding to all the correct ports according to xbox.com

Some more info about my equipment. I have a visionet m405 dsl modem and a cisco wrt-160n v3 router. I have upgraded the routers firmware to dd-wrt firmware.  I have the xbox set to energy saving startup. I have an xbox 360 that connects to the network with no issues at all. Anyone have any ideas? thanks ahead of time!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 168 Applies to:
Answer

The IPs not matching confirms what I suspected, which is that your Xbox is behind multiple layers of NAT (double NAT), which prevents you from getting open NAT.  (Your DSL "modem" is actually a gateway, which is a modem+router, this plus your own Cisco router = double NAT.). You need to put the DSL gateway in bridge mode following these instructions (see page 20):

www.blackfoot.com/.../M404_User_Manual.pdf

Once you do that, you will need to configure your Cisco to perform the DSL login (via PPPoE etc.) using the login/password from your ISP.  Otherwise, you will not have Internet access.  Once this is done, use the Cisco router to forward ports via UPnP, manually, etc.

As an alternative to placing the DSL gateway in bridge mode, which can be complex for the inexperienced, you can try putting the WAN IP of your Cisco router in the DMZ on the DSL gateway then using the Cisco router to forward ports via UPnP, manually, etc.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.