XBox One Wi-fi and HDMI Input Issues

I'm having two interesting issues. The first issue I noticed was serious lag while playing Battlefield 4. With all the current issues being publicized with that game, I assumed my lag issues were due to BF4; however, I was looking at my router console and noticed my XBox One wireless signal quality continues jumping up and down from 0 % to 47-50% to 100%.  The wireless signal from XBox One just continues to jump up and down.  I'll post the model of my router at the end of this post. The connection should be around ~45-50%. This is what everything else at that same distance is showing. Obviously, that is not optimal, but it should be consistently at that range and not jumping around so much.

Along with the wireless issue, I noticed an HDMI Input issue. I have my cable TV box connected to my XBox one via HDMI.  I then have my XBox one connected to my audio receiver via HDMI.  Everything seemed to work correctly - my XBox One was controlling my TV, Cable, and Audio Receiver correctly, no issues.  A few days ago, my girlfriend told me that the cable picture would pause for a couple of seconds and start again.  This would happen about every 20 seconds or so.  It also looked likethe resolution would change from HDMI to SD and back again.

As a test, I disconnected the HDMI cable running from the cable box to the XBox One and connected it to the audio receiver, which is where the cable was located prior to getting the XBox One - leaving it in a cable box to  audio receiver to TV state.  This fixed the cable issue, which tells me that the issue was with the XBox one.

The fact that I have had issues with both situations at the same time makes me believe they are related, but that's not necessarily true. Obviously with any electronic components anything could be the problem.  I will say that my experience with the XBox One and BF4 has been extremely disappointing.  I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money.

The XBox one has such great potential and I really enjoy all the feature it offers, but I'm extremely frustrated.  Any help would be beneficial.

Thanks!!

Router: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

Router Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/15/12) std -- SVN revision 19484

This firmware should be the latest. I updated it just last week.

Cable box: Scientific Atlantic

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 124 Applies to:

I'm having issues with the HDMI "in" port on the console. I'm on my third console now, all three have had loose HDMI ports. I know it's the ports because when I have the cable just right, it works. Breathe on it wrong and it I might still have picture, but lose control over changing channels, or the audio starts sounding tinny. I've tried the cable directly to my former blu ray and had no issues with sound or picture, tried multiple NEW cables that work on other devices, so I know it's not the cable either. It's not rocket science, it's a hardware problem, but the people at MS want you to go through all sorts of troubleshooting (which I did), half of which couldn't be the problem if they actually listened to what was going on. They sent me out the third console ensuring me it wouldn't have the same problem, but it did. Wondering how many others have this problem and it's misdiagnosed or blamed on software or settings or HDMI wires. Very frustrating that I now have to return the advance replacement console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

+1 on loose HDMI cable connections.  Have not noticed the WiFi issue but I am not too far from the router.  Have not purchased BF4 due to all the well publicised problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have since tried used a hardwired connection. It helped a little, but now I'm experiencing other interesting issues - like I can get an 'open' NAT, but after a while it just decides to go to 'strict' even though the port forwarding from UPNP is still open to it's IP address.

I have not called customer support for the fear that I would just have to replace the machine.  If FattyWink has gone through 3 systems already that doesn't give many any confidence in this system.

This system + Battlefield 4 has quite possibly been my worst experience for a console.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar issue, which seems to be HDMI-related. Digi, I'm copying part of your post, because this is what I'm experiencing (bold is me):

"I have my cable TV box connected to my XBox one via HDMI.  I then have my XBox one connected to my audio receiver via HDMI.  Everything seemed to work correctly - my XBox One was controlling my TV, Cable, and Audio Receiver correctly, no issues.  A few days ago, my girlfriend told me that the cable picture would pause for a couple of seconds and start again."   I was also having some stuttering, and eventually no picture at all. I received an error message that read something like "TV took too long to start."

As a test, I disconnected the HDMI cable running from the cable box to the XBox One and connected it to the audio receiver, which is where the cable was located prior to getting the XBox One - leaving it in a cable box to  audio receiver to TV state.  This fixed the cable issue, which tells me that the issue was with the XBox one"

Originally I had my 360 plugged into the HDMI in, and that worked. I switched to cable (Comcast), and that worked fine for several weeks before suddenly not working at all. We did the usual power cycling of the box, switched cable boxes, etc. etc. Since the cable still works fine with my receiver (Denon AVR 2112, latest firmware), I figured it's an XBox One issue, as you did.

I did a factory restore on the xbox, and everything worked fine again (including Ghosts, which wouldn't load...I assume it was the bad update). Two days later, same issue crops up--black screen for TV, and the xbox no longer controlled the receiver or TV. I tried plugging in the 360 again to the Xbox one, nothing.

While it appears we have solidarity in this thread, it doesn't appear anyone has noticed. Bummer. I'm really not interested in a new xbox. If this can't be fixed, I'd rather just have my money back.

Sorry this didn't help.