Xbox One turns on, displays green loading screen, then goes to black

I've tried hard resets, cold boots, unplugging the console from the wall for 10-15 mins, nothing works. It worked just fine a couple days ago, but now nothing. 

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 679 Applies to:

I posted about this in the Xbox One General Discussion forums already, since I'm suffering from the same issue. The below is my 1st post from that thread:

[quote user="Galactic Geek"]You see, after playing a match of World of Tanks with a friend of mine, I was starting to experience severe slow-down, so I decided to go to settings to check the network settings. However, it never came up - it wouldn't respond at all. Shortly thereafter, nothing would respond. So, I decided to do a hard reset, since that fixes almost everything. A minute or 2 later, I turned it back on and lo-and-behold, it was even worse. It would show the green start-up screen with the Xbox One logo and 3 loading "dots" but would stay there for what would seem like at least 5 minutes! Usually it only stays for a few seconds. After this lengthy period of loading, the screen would simply go black and do practically nothing. It doesn't start and show the home screen or anything. If I wait long enough, I'll see it auto-sign me in (like another 5+ minutes later) via a pop-up, but nothing else really happens - it's still on the black screen. If I use the Kinect sensor's voice commands, I'll see the on-screen prompts for various things, but will otherwise get nothing. If I tell it to go to a specific game or app, nothing happens. If I tell it to go to settings, I'll get a message telling me to sign into Xbox Live and if that doesn't work, to restart the console (even though I'm already "signed in" - and for the record, I've tried both; neither works). Yep, that's right - restarting the console doesn't work. I can tell the console to shut off, and it does (thankfully), but that doesn't fix the issue. Neither does a hard-reset, surprisingly enough.

I've gone through various support pages to look into this on this site, but I can already tell you that it's not my network, TV, external HDD, or cables. I've already experimented with all of the above via a process of elimination and the only thing that seems to be messed up is the console itself.

I've even tried to send feedback to the Xbox Live team since I'm in the preview program, but that is also non-responsive.[/quote]

Lord Atherios, if it comes back, that's wonderful news, but what's to stop this happening again? this NEEDS to be addressed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the same problem yesterday tootall2005

The funny part is that if you insert a disc (For example The witcher 3), the xbox load the game perfectly, you can see it in the TV, hear the music prefectly (So it isnt a problem with the HDMI port or the resolution) and even the controller works fine... BUT, you cannot go to the dashboard (If you try, you get the blank screen). So I guess that the problem is with the Dashboard screen not showing up properly (It is there, but it's just Black)

Today in the morning, I tried again and It worked fine out of the blue. Right now I'm saving all my games to an external device (In case that happens again) but having another problems...

Sorry this didn't help.

Two things to try:

1. Try using a different HDMI port and cable

2. Try resetting the resolution: If there’s a disc in the Xbox One console, eject it.

On the console, press and hold the Xbox button for five seconds to turn off the console.

Press and hold the Xbox button and the Eject button until you hear a beep to turn on the console.

If those don't work try everything else on this page:  support.xbox.com/.../tv-or-monitor-screen-is-blank-while-connected

Finally if none of that works you may need to have your console repaired.  The link I posted has instructions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Awesome, i have exactly the same problem and happened too me last night and cant find a way to fix it either.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing is happening to me. Cant seem to fix it or figure out what the problem is exactly.

Sorry this didn't help.