Xbox One S WiFi Networking Connectivity Issues

I just replaced my xbox one with a one S, and since then I have noticed network connectivity issues numerous times.  These issues were never present (or rarely occurred) on my xbox one.

Main issue is just overall poor network connectivity to in-game sessions [lagging](e.g. Destiny), party audio that is choppy and broken, and being disconnected from parties.  I am using a dedicated WAP (802.11n) for my one xbox (i.e. there is only one device connected to that WAP).  I have verified there are no other WAPs in my area on the same channels, and again this issue was never present with my existing legacy xbox.

Also, when signing into my GT, this process takes an unusually long time compared to my legacy xbox one.  I assume due to needed network traffic.

In addition, this morning when waking up my xbox S from standby, it reported no network connection.  Upon investigating, it stated that no WiFi networks were available (even after refreshing the list several times).  My two WiFi networks were operational and visible to my other devices in my home.  Once I performed a restart of my xbox one S, it was able to see the WiFi networks and connect.

Overall, the WiFi performance makes the console almost unusable.

Any thoughts on this performance?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Actually this also happened to my One S today. I powered on/off with no change. I've got mine connected via ethernet now, but it's not a permanent solution that I'm willing to accept. Perhaps there are more owners experiencing the same?

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey FriendlySleet66 - 

Sorry to hear about the issue. Are you able to try connecting to your home network via ethernet cable to see if the issue persists? Also, if you haven't already, let's have you try power cycling your Xbox One console, unplugging your home network, waiting 5 minutes, and reconnecting everything to see what happens. If the issue persists, the next step I would recommend is factory resetting your console using the "keep my games and apps" option. 

If none of that works, please provide us with the following info so we can troubleshoot further. 

What Country/State/Province do you live in? 
Modem brand & model number: 
Router brand & model number:
How many Xbox 360 and Xbox One consoles are connected to this router?: 
Wired or Wireless (for each console): 
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/No/Unknown:
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?:
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
Who is your ISP? (Internet Service Provider):

Keep us posted!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No issue when connected via wired ethernet.  I have power cycled numerous times.  Also followed guidance once from chat support to clear persistent memory and cycle power.  Have also performed factory reset once.

Modem: Motorola SURFBoard SB6141

Router: PfSense, XG-2758

3 XBox Ones connected to router at times

Other 2 Xbox Ones on wired connections

UPnP Enabled: Yes

NAT: Open

No error codes

ISP: Comcast

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Mike

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Mike -

Thanks for the extra info. If you keep your Xbox One S console in Energy-Saving Mode, do you experience the same issues? Additionally, how far from your network is your console? Also, what reset option did you do? If it was the one that has you keep your games and apps, I would recommend trying the option that removes everything next. 

Keep us posted!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure about the energy saver mode.  My Xbox is about 15 feet (directly above) from the WAP.

To solve the issue I just ran another cat 6 cable to the room with xbox, so no more WiFi for me.

Still I feel the Xbox One S has some issue with the WiFi and audio (will create another post for that)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, Mike! We are actually aware of an issue that the Xbox One S consoles either have no wireless connectivity after boot up, or significantly slow speeds on boot up wired. Both of these are only affecting users while in Instant On mode. Energy saving mode is the current workaround, or you can power cycle your console after it turns on (which fully turns off the console, like Energy saving does).

I'm more than happy to follow up with you once we know there is a resolution to this. The audio issue would be separate, but our community should be able to assist you further if you create a new post. :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To follow up, the fix is currently in preview, and users in the Preview Program should have the update at this time.

No information on when it will be made public, but once I have that I will update you all! :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any update? My wireless connection frequently degrades significantly. Only solution I have found to restore the speed of the connection is to unplug the Xbox one s for a couple of minutes. FWIW, I am using instant on. Issue does disappear when using energy saver. Not a good solution for me.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, tbsteph! Unfortunately, if you are not in the preview program, the only workaround at this time is to set your console in Energy Saving mode. Once the update is released to the general public later this year, it will be resolved for all users. We appreciate your patience while we work on rolling this out to everyone. :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue the restart or energy saving mode takes forever. I've wasted a lot of time since launch day troubleshooting this issue hope it is resolved soon. Please add me to the notification list.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 21, 2023 Views 25,871 Applies to: