Xbox one s fan noise

Picked up my new Xbox one S this morning, really nice to look at and SO much smaller than the original !  Set it all up ok and completed the updates and am now downloading some digital games I recently bought.

The only thing is that since I first turned it on some 3 hours ago the fan hasn't stopped working but the console doesn't feel warm at all.  I'm not sure if this is how its meant to run or not only I had the original Xbox One from launch and hardly heard that fan ever.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 19, 2019 Views 16,089 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have seen a video on YouTube that shows an Xbox one slim with a very noticeable fan noise compared to my elite console,don't know if it's a defective one but it has put me off because I was considering getting one,is there any chance you could post a video here so I can see what yours is like

Definitely seeing a few people point this out and mine (which I've only just picked up as well) seems to be making the same noise as in this vid: www.youtube.com/watch

and there's the reddit thread here with similar: m.reddit.com/.../xbox_one_s_fan_noise_normal

Listened to the 2 vids and thats rougly what mine sounds like.  Quite a few people have commented as you say, with some saying its normal and some that it sounds broken and you should take it back lol.  I don't know if retailers keep some stock back for such an eventuality or not but everywhere seems sold out at the moment so not sure they'd be able to replace it anyway.

Personally, planning on leaving it maybe a few days, see how many others this is happening with and if it's basically the noise the console makes then that's fine. If it's a fault, it's a fault and I'll be taking it back!

Sounds like a good idea, worse case scenario if something goes wrong thats what the warrentys for.

This is what i love about having the PSU outside the console, you can stick it away at the back, outside the cabinet and not hear or worry about it.

But with the slim you will hear the fan because it is now inside the console with all the other heat producing components, i doubt it will ever be as quite as the original one, BUT, it is the summer and quite muggy, so that might not be helping matters, possibly as the temp drops the slim might become more silent, but, on a positive note, as some have said the console is very cool, so at least the fan is doing it's job. ;)

Was going to say the same.With the power unit inside the console more heat is probably being generated so the fan will work a bit harder & be louder than the standard xbox one.

There's the fan being louder and then there's the noise that it's making in the videos. The noise in the vids do sound like the fan is scraping/hitting against the housing rather than just spinning fast.

I know this isn't about the fan issues but does anyone on here know why I recieved my Xbox One S with no issues other than there isn't a headset? Surely I should get one.

You don't get a headset included with the xbox one anymore so I would think that's the same with the xbox one s.