Xbox one S 2018 model 1 TB model Costco purchase STINKS

Seasons Greetings!

I purchased an XBox 1S last year at Costco for my son as a Christmas Gift but we had to put  off unboxing and using due to unexpected home remodeling issues with his room etc.. Its was the Minecraft package and we finally hooked it up several weeks back.

whenever my son powers it up to play, it emits a strong “electrical/ozonish” yoe of odor that to me is overpowering. I have read of this issue on other forums and sites such as reddit but  with no firm answer or advice. Many advise that it will eventually “burn off” and equate it to the new car smell. If i got a new car and it smelled like that,I’d be filing a lemon law claim!

Way too late to bring back to Costco and we did not file the warrenty or registration etc.. its in mint condition,but i doibt anyone will buy it nor do i wish to sell what could be a fire hazard or health hazard due to the stench. Would bringing it to a Microsoft  retailer do any good or should I just  trash it and pick up another which are now abundant in under the $150 range? Pity, I paid well over that. Any advice appreciated.

id just like for him to be able to enjoy this 

You could register the console, just to see how long you might have left on the warranty. If your warranty has expired you could pay for the repair, or as you said, trash it and purchase a new one.

You can register the console here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Standard warranty for the consoles are one year from the date of purchase. 

If it is still within that one year you can follow the directions on this link to file for a repair.

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/warranty-service/getting-your-product-serviced

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are video game consoles excluded from Costco's lifetime return guarantee? If not then try taking it back to the store with your explanation of why you want to return/exchange the faulty console.

Good luck!

Avid Techno-geek & Gamer
If my reply solved your issue, please select my Post and click Yes. Thanks!

Xbox Ambassador - I am not a Microsoft employee!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought all 3 of my boys Xbox's for Christmas last year and they all had this smell for about the first month of using them. It has completely gone away and never returned. I've experienced the same smell with several other new electronics and PC's.

Note: please make sure to keep all of the vents on the console free of obstructions that would restrict the airflow.

Also, if the smell persists or you have any safety concerns with the console, the team at my local Microsoft Store has been incredibly helpful resolving issues for me in the past even if a device is outside of its standard warranty period. That could be an option for you if there is one in your area.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 210 Applies to: