Xbox one resolutions

Hi, I'm a bit frustrated. I got xbox one for christmas and it will only output in 720p. I'm going out the xbone to an hdmi switch, then from the hdmi switch with an hdmi to DVI cable into my tv (my tv only has DVI) so although my tv probably doesn't support 1080p my sky box used to output 1080 and look a lot sharper on same telly than watching the sky box through the xbox one. I turned my 360 back on and I have that set to 1360x768. Xbox one doesn't seem to give me an option to choose that resolution and when I tell it to output 1080 the tv says not supported yet the sky box was displayed fine outputting 1080... Hope that all makes sense. Anyone able to advise? Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

You probably set your 360 to 1080i (Interlaced) and it worked fine. This resolution currently isn't available on the Xbox One console. Hundreds of users have been asking for it. Hopefully it may appear in a future update.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yep also sky on the 1080 setting is 'i' only and not 'p'

So sounds like whay wee said

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't get it. I don't think that can be it. The sky is outputting 1080i and the xbox is only outputting 720p. I've tried telling the sky box to output 720p and no improvement. It's a lot blurrier. If my tv can display the sky box at 720 even tho it's outputting 1080i I don't get why the xbox can't.  Thanks for your replies

Sorry this didn't help.

The Xbox One can only output at 720p and 1080p. If you TV does not support 1080p then it will only display at 720p from the Xbox One, as the Xbox One does not output 1080i at this time.

More info on Display settings here >> 

Sorry this didn't help.

Riiiight I think I get it now.  Why does interlaced make my tv accept it but not progressive? And we're expecting this to be fixed in a future update? Do we predict when?

Sorry this didn't help.

Because your TV can accept 1080i, from SKY box for example. There is a big difference between 1080i and 1080p, but I won't bore you with that. To be honest, 720p is fine for most things anyway. The only other thing you can do is purchase a new HDTV that tis rue HD Ready i.e. supports 1080p input. They are pretty cheap these days. But even if you got a 1080p TV, SKY would still be only 1080i :O)

Sorry this didn't help.