Xbox one repair issues

I'm new to posting in forums so bear with me if this is too long.  Been gaming for a long time(atari/colecovision days) . Preordered an Xbox one first day edition, even tho I  didn't agree with their new policies. I trusted Microsoft to listen to their loyal fans and reconsider their plans.  About a month ago started having issues with my console, optic drive issues. Went online with support, they tried to fix issues and came to the conclusion that it needed to be replaced. Said I qualified for advanced replacement, said I needed to call support to arrange it. Next day called. 7 days later received a refurbished console. It would not even power on! Called support, operator was very nice, tried to help with issues over phone. Nothing we tried worked. She told me to put console back in box with the service # and write that console doesn't work. She made a note on my account so they wouldn't charge my credit. Said I was now a tier 3 and that someone would call in 5 days, also said I would recieve a brand new console. Dropped off at Fed Ex the next day. 6 days later no call so I call. Again operator very nice said that they were back logged and someone should have called allready. Also said that all the info was taken down correctly by the first operator and everything she said was correct( new console and no charge on credit).  4days later I get email saying there will be charge on my credit because I didn't return my console. Now I'm agitated, I call ask for a supervisor. She tells me I should havesent back my day one edition (the one I can play down loaded games on) and kept the console I couldn't  even turn on. Also that the last 2 operators did not handle or fill out the service request forms correctly! So now before they can send me another replacement and take off the charge on my credit they have to look for the one I sent back. Than they'll call me and start the replacement all over. I have spent a lot of money over the years on Xbox so I'm very disappointed with Microsoft. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had the exact same situation.  Bad drive, replacement console a dud, sent back the dud.  It took 6 weeks for the Texas facility to find the console I sent back.  I hope for your sake they got their act a little more together since then.  I was told at first I would get  a call back, and later told, they don't call people back.  There is a lot more misery in my story that I will spare you.  All you can really do is hang tight.  Good luck man!

Doesn't seem like  it. Called support again yesterday, operator said she couldn't help me because it was in the advocacy teams hands. Said I should get an email in a week to 2 weeks time from them. Find it hard to believe with all the problems they seem to be having that this isn't  a story in any news.  Thanks for the reply.  

kubindad, keep us up to date on how everything turns out - I'd like to hear more about how this is resolved, if at all.

MS should have emailed you a copy of the transaction (advanced exchange) verifying shipping data, the terms for the exchange, etc. A tracking number would be provided.  Hand written service advice is not accepted by any courier and writing "doesn't work" on the box don't cut it.

-

I have had great service with MS. I deal with American service reps and live in Canada. 2 days I had a new console.

-

I'm just not sure if MS is completely liable, as there is always two sides to every story...

-

This is from my view of the OP's concern. Hopefully it get resolved.

I had a hard drive issue with my xbox one and made the call to support and I got a replacement  two weeks later. I inbox it hook it up and it doesn't work. I called support again and spent an hour on the phone to be told that it was going to the advocacy team and I would hear back within five days. I call back and support tells me that I would be contacted through email within 12 business days and that I should have never been told five business days. So I'm still waiting to be contacted. I feel that xbox/microsofts customer support is really bad.

Thanks for the input, I will try to keep this update as the saga roles on. Does any one know how many consoles are affected with problems? Or is it just a small percentage?

There's no actual numbers (and I'm not sure that it will ever be revealed unless it becomes a huge issue like with the RROD), but for now it seems to be in the minority.

If you're lucky enough to be an owner in NZ or Australia, our consumer laws are better. Instead of dealing with the manufacturer, we can simply return the whole console to the retailer we brought it from, and they will either immediately give us a new console, a refund, or repair. The manufacturer under our law is required to complete repairs on a console under warranty within a reasonable amount of time. Just take it to the retailer and THEY'LL sort it out. M shouldn't give you the run around for this waiting several business days. You'd probably be better of living in Australia or NZ because our consumer protection rights are most likely better than what you may have in the US. I left a link of what our rights are like over here. I hope you get it resolved asap.

nzgamer.com/.../your-consumer-rights-for-the-next-gen.html

Very interesting article. Unfortunately, in the U.S.A it seems they are more interested in trying to sell you an extended warranty than selling you a reliable product. When we (customers/consumers) purchase a product we should get a reliable product that does as it is advertised to do. Could you imagine buying a car and soon as you got it home some parts wouldn't work. It starts but the brakes don't work! Give us a month or two and we'll figure it out!  If I was the CEO of Microsoft I would be ashamed of this situation . Long repair times, untrained or inexperienced service reps, not to mention faulty product.  I hope my issue gets resolved soon, for that matter everyone's problems with their  consoles. I believe Microsoft does make good products something went a miss it seems, with the ones tho.  On a side note I don't play online a whole lot, seems to be a lot of  youthfull jerks out there that take some of the fun out of it. But on these forums every interaction I've had have been with polite and  well thought people!

All products come with a manufacturers warranty over and above store warranty/return. Register your devices, that is the consumers responsibility....

-

I remember driving my brand new 2003 GMC 1500 Z71 home, finding a puddle under it after I parked it... rear crank seal gone... (56km on truck)...  towed it back o town, fixed, good.  Breakdowns happen.