Xbox one powers on then off again

Hi All.

Not happy at all!!!! My new Xbox one that is not even a calendar month old, powers on then powers off again. I've been on the phone to customer support on and off for 3 days now with no solutions offering a permanent fix.

Tried so far:

• Unplug power cable and kinect plug power back in then power on once on plug kinect back. This works but obviously it’s not a permanent solution.
  • Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool. This seemed to work but once my Xbox was off for more than a few hours I experienced the same issue.

Still to try:

• Factory reset

Can anyone one shed some light on this issue and recommended a possible fix? So far MS have offered the below.

They presented me with 2 options send it off for a repair with a 10 day turn around or give us £391 to hold and we’ll send you a new one within 3 days then release your deposit when we receive your Xbox!!!! Really MS that’s the best you can offer a loyal Xbox fan of some 8 odd years who’s already spent £420 on an Xbox that’s not even a month old? So not impressed!!!

Any help or advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Alex

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Same problem. I had mine for all of 3 days and then it conked on me. Looked everywhere online, tried all the troubleshooting....nada. Put in for the advanced exchange this afternoon. I like Xbox, but sadly this isn't the first issue I've had with the brand... had to replace my original, had 4 360's (4!!!), and now it's looking like I'm going onto my second ONE. It's annoying but if MS do the right thing by me and take care of it properly I'll stay loyal.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I have the same problem too, It tends to happen when i plug the cable tv in. Are  your cable box connect to your xbox? try using the xbox without the cable for a while and  see that works.

Btw:

I did try talking to an Official Xbox One rep at my local BestBuy and he was no help. Someone please report that rep, I asked him a couple times and kept on saying it was just doing low power download. Which I did not believe since if it was downloading I should be wake it up while using it.  He did seem very busy playing NBA2k14 than helping a customer.

Rep was 20-30 years old African american at the Best Buy

1643 County Road B2

Roseville, MN 55113

Sorry this didn't help.

thebigfatjerk - I can't speak for the TC, but I can tell you I didn't bother with the cable box stuff. I kinda thought something was off with it right from the start. The first time I turned it on it shut off but I tried again and it booted up so I just thought maybe I did something wrong. Then, later that same day, it would randomly go back to the home menu no matter where I was - game...store...youtube...whatever. It also wouldn't read battlefield 4 right away either...would have to put it in and eject it 2-3 times for it to work, and it would make a brief grinding noise when it did finally recognize it (though it didn't do any of that with Forza 5....). Now today I went to go turn it on and the light on the console will stay on for a few seconds then turn back off. Tried unplugging and replugging things, moving outlets, not plugging it into my power surge protector....makes no difference at all. The thing's a 500-plus dollar paperweight at the moment.  

Unfortunately I bought mine off Amazon so I don't even have a store to bring it back to...not that it would make much difference at the moment anyway because here in Canada you can't find them anywhere due to the demand. Rather than wait the who-knows-how-many-more-weeks with Amazon, I opted to go right through Microsoft. Now I am just hoping I'm not going to have to jump through hoops with this advanced exchange business. If I have to start making follow-up emails and phone calls only to either get no response, told it's "in process" for weeks, or to wait hours on end on hold, I'm not going to be a happy camper. The email I got says they'll be sending a replacement in the next 2 business days...that's by Tuesday Dec 31. So provided that's accurate, I would imaging I'll get my replacement either late next week or early the week after. I've been reading things online from others and it's taken WEEKS for them to get a replacement through the advanced exchange so I really hope that's not going to be the case for me. Right now I'm just disappointed...I really don't want to start compounding that with anger and frustration....especially when I've been giving these guys money for the last 11 years...

I like Xbox consoles more than Playstation or Nintendo ones (own them all so can say that without being a fanboy), but I just hate that I find myself cringing EVERY SINGLE TIME I turn one on wondering if it's going to work or not. And although I prefer Xbox, I've NEVER had this problem with Sony and/or Nintendo (touch wood), and I thought this would FINALLY be a thing of the past with XB1 but it seems I was sadly mistaken =(

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your replies gents!

Just an update to the above since a I performed a factory reset my Xbox One seems to be working within its required parameters, and I've since not experienced any more powering on/off issues. If any of you are experiencing the same issues as me before sending off for the advanced repair or 10 day turn around repair try a factory reset! All data is held within the cloud so you have nothing to lose. I Hope this helps? Hope you all had a good Christmas and Happy new year to you all!!! :)

Sorry this didn't help.