XBox One Powering On When No One is Home

My Xbox One has been great since day 1.

The past 3 days though my machine has powered up by itself either overnight while I'm asleep or while I'm at work and I come home and it's on.

The "Xbox On" command during normal usage works great it powers on my Denon Receiver, Uverse Cablebox, And Samsung TV. 

What I have noticed in the instances where the Xbox is turned on while I'm not around is that Only the Xbox and the TV are powered on. I have to power on the receiver to see the TV (This is normal) but when I do so after Xbox turns on by itself I  notice the screen is dimmer. Everything works fine but the TV picture is just dim. If I turn off the xbox and turn it back on then everything comes back like normal (TV Picture is no longer dim).

Xbox Settings -

Currently I'm setup for instant on, with a 1 hour turn off for inactivity.

The inactivity timer does not appear to be working when the machine turns itself on.

I contact Support last night and they said that the Xbox One has motion detection that will automatically turn the machine which is incorrect. To test their theory I closed the room with the Xbox last night to ensure my dogs or my wife would walk through the room overnight. When I woke up this morning the Xbox was turned on.

I am now monitoring to see if I can determine when the Xbox is turning on by itself.

Has anyone seen any instances of this and is there any type of fix for this problem?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 504 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey, i have the same problem!

Support line is useless, they are just there to solve minor problems such as " have you plugged in the power cable to the console? "

Anyway, ive seen that this happens to me if i turn the console off with a game disc inside!, if it take out the game it shutds down just fine... The problem then is when i turn it on again it wont take any disks in until i shut it off and leave the disc in the middle... Like trying to force its way in...

Let me know if you can replicate this behavior

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll see if I can replicate your behavior as well, but I may have found my culprit for my issue. I have a Klipsch Sub-Woofer (recently purchased) connected to my Receiver. It has a function that automatically turns off after a certain amount of inactivity from the receiver. My Theory was maybe that was triggering the Xbox to turn on. So I turned that feature off so now the Sub just stays powered on.

So far so good I have not had the Xbox turn on by itself.

Only problem with my theory is that I also did a cold reboot as well so I'm not sure if the cold reboot fixed it or the sub fixed. I'm going to test again tonight and see what I get.

I have kept a disc in mine the whole time so I have not seen the issue that you were speaking off but I will test yours as well.

The cold reboot is a good option Xbox One is a computer at it's core and needs to rebooted every once in a while to remove any "Ghosts in the memory" just my theory though I'll keep you informed here.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have had this same issue but mine also ejects the disk when it turns on

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't repeat the disc eject problem. But I also have eliminated the auto on problem. The hard reset seemed to be the winner. As I have turned on the sub to auto detect signal and my Xbox is not coming on by itself any more. So I would suggest for issues that seem to be random that perhaps unplugging the xbox and letting reboot from cold state may help. Just my suggestion though because it appears to have worked in this case.

Sorry this didn't help.

Will go ahead and switching signal detection but have already tried cold reboot but still no luck

Sorry this didn't help.

Also just like yourself mine was great starting out and then out of nowhere it started doing this

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. Twice it was just the XBox and Kinect lights on and today when I came home from being out, my tv, receiver and XBox were on.

Sorry this didn't help.

I really don't know how to solve this issue! I have not had this issue yet, but it seems you might want to call the Ghost Busters!

Sorry this didn't help.

i tried the cold reboot, also disconnecting the TV receiver, but still have the same issue, i called support again and they have sent me the shipping stickers for repair/exchange.

I will try disconnecting everything, network, hdmi in & out, kinect and power supply... and will start checking just with power and hdmi out

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this happen twice now. But it tuned on within a minute after I verbally told the xbox to turn off and it turned off the tv and receiver. I believe both times all 3 things turned on.

Sorry this didn't help.