Xbox one power brick surge

Hello the other night i was having a viscious lighting storm at my house. One partucular bolt lit hit and not a second later my xbox one turns off and I hear a strange pop sound. Next thing i know my xbox wont turn on. Ive been doing my research heres what i know. The power brick is flashing orange, when you swipe your hand over the console it makes a bing noise like its wanting to turn. I have ordered a new power brick, it will be here today. My question being is there any chance at all the actual console is fried as well?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 68 Applies to:

It's always a possibility that a surge protector will fail to protect your electronic device from a power surge, especially if you're using a very cheap protector.

The Xbox power brick should be more than sufficient to protect your device though, so I'd say you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you try resetting the power brick?

Unplug the cables from the console, wall outlet, and power supply itself.

Wait 10 seconds. Important Be sure to wait 10 seconds. ...

Firmly plug the power cable back into the console, and then plug the power cable back into the electrical outlet and the power supply. Connect the power supply directly into a wall outlet.

Sorry this didn't help.

> It's always a possibility that a surge protector will fail to protect your electronic device from a power surge, especially if you're using a very cheap protector.

Expensive protector (adjacent to an appliance) is similar to a cheap one.  A $3 power strip with 10 cent protector parts sells in Walmart for maybe $10.  And for $100 using other 'highly advertised' names such as Monster. Price says nothing about quality.

A protector adjacent to an appliance can also make appliance damage easier.  Essential to protecting an Xbox and its power brick is one properly earthed 'whole house' protector.  This solution is so well proven that surge damage is usually considered a human mistake.  But again, that adjacent protector does not even claim to protect from a transients described by the OP.

A surge that is incoming to a power brick was, at the same time, outgoing into the Xbox. Because it is electricity. That is a current that, at the same time, is flowing incoming from a cloud and flowing outgoing to charges maybe miles away on earth.  It usually only causes damage to one item in that path.  In this case, a power brick is damaged.  So the Xbox probably is not.  Even though that current was also passing through the Xbox.

If damaged, Xbox damage is often on an outgoing path - ie internet connection.

Expensive and adjacent protector is not effective protection.  Does not even claim to provide that protection.  A many times less expensive 'whole house' protection (for about $1 per protected appliance) is essential to protect everything - especially those expensive plug-in protectors.

Sorry this didn't help.