Xbox One offline diagnostic tool

Hi there,

First off thanks for taking the time to read this.

My Xbox is stuck on the green loading screen "The green screen of death as they call it..."

I have downloaded the OSUDT2 file. Please note i have no possible way of finding out the OS version as i cannot get past this screen, however the videos i have seen online send me to this file.

Holding the bind button and the eject button, then pressing the power button does nothing. I've held this for around a minute and nothing happens, the xbox just turns on as normal instead of booting from the usb port. Please note i am using an external hard drive, surely this should not be a problem?

If anyone could give some assistance or direction that would be great. I will mention i am a software engineer and capable of following instructions easily which is why i am confused as too why it will not boost from the USB.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you in the preview program? If so, I don't think the OS version you have is listed there yet, since it hasn't been officially released. If not, as long as your system is up to date, it should be the newest version. If it doesn't work, I believe you will have to do the factory reset using the Offline Diagnostic tool. You can find it and all of the instructions at: support.xbox.com/.../offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

If you are in the preview program, you'll want to create a post here: forums.xbox.com/.../default.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Could you explain what the preview programme is please? I have reason to beleive the Xbox was turned off via the plug during a system update if that information helps.

Thanks again

Sorry this didn't help.

The preview program lets you preview updates before they are released to the public, but it doesn't sound like you are part of it.

Before doing the factory reset, try this: Hold the Xbox logo on the front of the console until it shuts down, unplug the power cord from the back for 5 minutes, plug it back in and turn it on. You'll still come to the green screen, but let it sit there for up to 10 minutes, and it may apply the update correctly.

If that doesn't work, I think you'll have to do the factory reset.

Sorry this didn't help.

have the exact same problem. Was playing NHL 16 on Friday night without any problems. Booted the system up on Saturday night and got the green screen. I let it go for 30 minutes and nothing happened.

I unplugged the console completely from the net, unplugged the power cord for 2-3 minutes and plugged it back in, booted without the internet, but still nothing. Tried it with the internet, with the same result.

I then started a live chat with a Microsoft rep. We went through the offline update, but that did not work. When I pressed the Bind and Eject buttons, and then the Xbox button, I got a power on beep and then a power off beep, and an error message appeared, starting with E101. Tried the update again, with the same result. I am part of the preview program.

I contacted MS support on Twitter and they told me to come on here to post my problem. This morning, I rebooted my modem and booted up the Xbox One, with the same exact result. It is sitting on the green screen as I type this.

Hope this can get fixed soon, since I want to play some Halo 5 this Tuesday!

PS: I tried the link listed here to go to the Preview Program forums but get a Group Not Found error message.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Thanks for your replies. And yes i have tried a hard reset. It was my first attempt at a fix.

I have been swamped with work hence the lack of response, but i have a few days off now so i am commited to fix it. I have downloaded all 3 of the files from this page; support.xbox.com/.../offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

As mentioned above i tried the 2nd one, going to try the 1st and 3rd this evening, so i will update on my progress.

Just a thought, does the file need to be unzipped once on my external hard drive? i would imagine the  Xbox takes care of that but found no mention of it so thought i'd ask.

Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so i read the instructions wrong. They do need unzipping first.

No matter what file i try try, it just will not boot from the usb drive what so ever. Even the factory reset, which states it should work for all OS versions.

Can someone please tell me how it is possible to contact a member of Microsoft for support without being part of this preview programme?

Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

So as it turns out the Xbox is still under warranty and has been sent off.

Thanks for the help any people

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2020 Views 6,924 Applies to: