Xbox One manual network settings changing on their own

1. Why do my Xbox One manual network settings change on their own?

2. Why does my NAT, on the One, show strict one time I log in, then moderate the next time I log in within minutes of each log in?

3. Does Live use the same ports for the One and 360? If not what ports should I concentrate on?

I set up a static LAN address for the Xbox one and 360 for the purpose of opening the NAT,  and switch the LAN cable from the 360 to the One frequently.  I will power up the One and log in, can't connect to EA servers, then find the strict wireless connection which I usually do not use.  Troubleshooting reveals my manual wired network settings changed, usually one of them to zeros.  I change them back, save, connect, and play.  One or two or ten log in's later they may change again. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 38 Applies to:

I can answer some of those for you.

1. That shouldn't be happening. Just as on Xbox 360, manual network settings tells your console to never change the settings you input. It may be a glitch; I'd recommend a hard reset (hold the power button for ~10 seconds until the console force shutdowns).

2. NAT is always tricky, but it almost always involves your router/gateway/modem. Power cycle all of them as a precaution; usually it is one of those network devices that is handling your internet protocol incorrectly, causing problems on your Xbox (and other consoles as well, if you have any). If power cycling your Xbox and router/gateway/modem does not change your NAT to open, I'd suggest following the additional steps on this Xbox Support page: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/nat-error-solution

3. Xbox One uses the following ports to connect to Xbox LIVE (this also helps Xbox 360 connect):

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
  • UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

I hope I helped you solve that problem. NAT is a problem for me as well; usually when I power off my router and power it back on the NAT opens again though. It gets very frustrating to have your NAT on moderate/strict when you just want to play online or chat with some friends!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please keep in mind that most of the listed ports are only used by the Xbox One for OUTBOUND connections and do NOT need to be forwarded to the Xbox One. The only ports that need to be forwarded are:

Port 88 (UDP)

Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

(And, reportedly for COD Ghosts, Port 3075 (UDP and TCP))

Sorry this didn't help.

Port 3074 is the problem port because you can't forward it to both the xbox one and the xbox 360 at the same time.

If you have also a 360 and your router has bad UPnP support then you will have NAT problems that can't be fixed by port forwarding.

Microsoft have made a big mistake by requiring port 3074 for the xbox one. It was common sense that it would cause problems for some people who own both consoles so I can't understand why they did this.

Sorry this didn't help.

The gateway setting is the one that zeros out. Last night it was happening at every start up.  I am now in the habit of entering the network settings at start-up, and checking the gateway.  Wow, what a pain.

Thank you all for the NAT& port help.  I've come to the conclusion that NAT troubles are mostly specific to provider and modems/routers.  It seems as if there are so many combinations of settings, and model specific  nomenclature for where or what those settings are, that it makes it difficult for the novice to troubleshoot. It makes it even harder for those who try to help us.  You can open ports all day long and still have a strict NAT if you don't have the right combination of settings.  I eventually punched through the firewall on my static address, but it takes time.

Now, if only the XB1 could only fit MY needs instead of me forcing myself to like it, I'd not be regretting my purchase, but that's for another post.

Sorry this didn't help.