XBOX One long green screen followed by endless "Black Screen" when starting via IR Remote (Harmony) when in energy savings mode.

I experienced several issues with startup for several weeks since the last update.  No other changes have taken place in my environment and I have been using this same combination for over a year without issue. 

My environment:

1) LG TV

2) Xbox One with Kinect and External 2TB storage.  Direct attached to the TV via HDMI.

3) Harmony 650 Remote (used to power on and switch inputs on the TV)

4) Xbox one in Energy Savings Mode

I have completed the following troubleshooting (factory restore, apply offline update, remove all extra periphs and drive, discharge power, setting TV Mode, power brick directly connected to the wall outlet) with limited success as the issue will return on next power on.   However, I finally found the culprit.  It appears if I start the Xbox one console with the Harmony 650 (through IR) it will display this extended green screen followed by an endless black screen.  Occasionally you can bypass this by power off, discharge power, and restart with the power button.  When this issue occurs it will never get to the xbox home screen, nor will remote controllers every completely sync (they will just blink and eventually turn off).

Below are two options I found:

1)  Start the Xbox one via the controller, or power button, instead of the Harmony Controller.

2)  Or set the console to "Instant On" 

So it appears there may be a bug with the recent update when starting the xbox one with a harmony 650 (or assume any IR remote).  I have used the xbox one controller for power on for several days and have not seen the issue return, but if I use the Harmony I can reproduce the issue if the system is in the energy savings mode.  I also have several xbox ones, and verified this issue on those boxes as well.

Wanted to see if anyone else experienced a similar issue and if so hopefully this can be brought up through the proper channels for possible investigation as it can easily be reproduced with an IR remote and the device in Energy Savings Mode with the last update.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 40 Applies to:

This may actually be a problem with connecting to the internal hard drive, this is something I'd encountered on the Xbox 360 a few times and it was due to a loose connection to the hard drive or it could also be due to a failed hard drive which would require replacement. If possible take your system to a local Microsoft store and have them check the hard drive connection and test the hard drive functionality.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey dude,

From the sounds of it, it does sound like a bug from one of the previous udpates. You seem to have covered all the troubleshooting steps, so won't go through them again, and if you can replicate the issue on multiple consoles then that rules out it being an issue with your own console.

Reporting the issue is the best thing you coudl have done, and hopefully this will get sorted in an upcoming update, or a support agent will chime in with how to fix :)

Cheers

Denaz

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem and Microsoft told me it was unsolvable and to send it away to be serviced...My xbox would load green screen then proceed to black screen perm. nothing changed it nothing solved it, so I am glad to hear that your xbox didnt brick out and you had a solution atleast.

Sorry this didn't help.