Xbox one Kinect

I think if Microsoft wants to make the Xbox one Kinect useful to everyone, Skype should be free to use without Xbox live gold.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It has to be all or nothing, if they do skype then people using twitch will be like waaaaah they dont need gold then the netflix people would be like waaaaaah they dont need gold and so on so forth till we get to the waaaah, what do i even need gold for, i am all for the apps being open from the gold lock but i cant see em picking and choosing select apps like that.

why make duplicate posts....??

it's a mistake.

Anyone with a PS3, Smart Phone, a Tablet, a PC, a smart TV, don't need gold to watch Netflix.

True Fact:  Netflix is watched more on PS3 then any other device.

I think there's a good argument for removing all of the apps from behind the paywall, but then, with the Xbox One you only need 1 Gold account per console compared to the 360 where it was 1 Gold account per person using the console (a big difference), and given that you need Gold to play online (as you need PS+ to play online on a PS4 now), how many Xbox One owners wouldn't buy Gold anyway?

If a person wants to play online games on a console, if they buy a PS4 or Xbox One, they're having to pay for the online feature, so it really makes no difference whether the apps are behind the pay wall or not for them - they're paying for Gold/PS+ and they're getting access to all of the apps. But if someone is not interested in online games and wants to buy an Xbox One for single player titles and to use the media apps and Skype, I think they would be put off by having to pay £x per year to do that, which is why I think they should remove all apps from behind the pay wall. They'd still make a ton of revenue from Live fees from all the online gamers, but they would sell more consoles to people who weren't interested in online gaming and make money through game sales, accessory sales etc.

@Wild: Proof?

I buy gold to play online, meet other people while gaming, and potentially form friendships while gaming.

Apps are secondary. Apps behind a paywall is ridiculous argument. If you bought this machine for anything other than gaming first you ripped yourself off.

"@Wild: Proof?"

It was the most used "TV-connected" device in the US in 2012. "TV-connected" excludes PCs and phones obviously.

Some proof Sigma... I'll take your word for it.

Kinect threads are always funny. I wonder where the tinfoil hat brigade is now that google glass is in beta and imminent for this year. Think about it...a camera not only in your home, but everywhere you go, on the streets, at your favorite restaurant or bar...btw I like the kinect but to each their own...