Xbox One - Ideas for the Future (Modding)

I'm going to start off by stating my love and anticipation for the Xbox One. I'm not sure about everyone else, but they are pretty much hitting the mark with everything that I imagined the next generation of Xbox would be. The multi-tasking capabilities, the improved hardware, and with devices & ideas like the Kinect, the cloud, and Smartglass, I'm really excited to see what developers will do next (One reason why I backed Microsoft's ideas to be always online (to allow all developers to make use of the cloud), and to package the Kinect with the Xbox One.) Unfortunately most people (in my mind) rejected this idea, but I think Microsoft has the right idea for the future of gaming. Unfortunately... I think the game industry is stagnating in terms of creativity and I think everyone can see this (ex. the past 4 CoD games being exactly the same, haha). But by standardizing the Kinect and making sure everyone who has an Xbox One has it (and even though I never really used the Kinect all that much that isn't to say anything for the future), it will allow developers to come up with more creative ideas and I am really excited to see what they come up with (Its a shame for the cloud however because without a mandatory internet connection, games won't be able to be standardized in respect to what the cloud has to offer... but we will see what happens down the road.). So with this preamble over and away with, I wanted to discuss the future of Xbox One, and share & discuss good ideas for the future of the system.

So... I am also an avid PC gamer and one area where I believe the PC will always triumph over the consoles (besides better hardware) is the modding community. I have Minecraft for both my PC and my Xbox 360 and the 360 version pales in comparison in every dimension. This, in my opinion is primarily due to the lack of a modding community. The best part about playing PC games is tinkering and creating mods for games you love and sharing your creative new ideas, and experiencing other people's creations as well. I mean great mods like Tekkit for Minecraft,  Gary's Mod, and the DayZ Mod, all have provided me with so many great memories and experiences. Now if the modding community could only be brought to the Xbox. I then started to think how this could work. I was thinking that if Microsoft provided its users with a platform to create mods, users could create the mod that they want for a game and put it in the Xbox Live Marketplace for that particular game. Much like how Steam handles mods for the PC, all you would have to do is go to your game in the Xbox Live section and download the mod that you want (Of course this might have to be regulated a bit but it is just an idea, and a good idea in my mind at that.) ... Now, I'm not the most intelligent on this matter, so I'm sorry if I said anything completely idiotic, but that is my idea and I hope we will see it in the future. This would bridge the gap between the PC and Consoles, and facilitate, what I believe, is the most important aspect of gaming; the community, and creativity of the users playing it.

Now one more piece I might like to add. I heard that the Xbox One will also be able to function as a DevKit a little after its release. Again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject but does anyone think this is pointing to my idea or if it would even allow my idea to possible? ... So anyways, please share with me your opinions on the matter and spread my idea around if you think its a good one. Maybe if Microsoft isn't planning this for the future, they will catch on that this is a good idea if enough people support it (Of course that depends on everyone else thinking that it is a good idea too, haha.). And if its not possible this generation, maybe we can look to the next. Thanks all! :)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

[quote user="Rightstated"]

I'm going to start off by stating my love and anticipation for the Xbox One. I'm not sure about everyone else, but they are pretty much hitting the mark with everything that I imagined the next generation of Xbox would be. The multi-tasking capabilities, the improved hardware, and with devices & ideas like the Kinect, the cloud, and Smartglass, I'm really excited to see what developers will do next (One reason why I backed Microsoft's ideas to be always online (to allow all developers to make use of the cloud), and to package the Kinect with the Xbox One.) Unfortunately most people (in my mind) rejected this idea, but I think Microsoft has the right idea for the future of gaming. Unfortunately... I think the game industry is stagnating in terms of creativity and I think everyone can see this (ex. the past 4 CoD games being exactly the same, haha). But by standardizing the Kinect and making sure everyone who has an Xbox One has it (and even though I never really used the Kinect all that much that isn't to say anything for the future), it will allow developers to come up with more creative ideas and I am really excited to see what they come up with (Its a shame for the cloud however because without a mandatory internet connection, games won't be able to be standardized in respect to what the cloud has to offer... but we will see what happens down the road.). So with this preamble over and away with, I wanted to discuss the future of Xbox One, and share & discuss good ideas for the future of the system.

So... I am also an avid PC gamer and one area where I believe the PC will always triumph over the consoles (besides better hardware) is the modding community. I have Minecraft for both my PC and my Xbox 360 and the 360 version pales in comparison in every dimension. This, in my opinion is primarily due to the lack of a modding community. The best part about playing PC games is tinkering and creating mods for games you love and sharing your creative new ideas, and experiencing other people's creations as well. I mean great mods like Tekkit for Minecraft,  Gary's Mod, and the DayZ Mod, all have provided me with so many great memories and experiences. Now if the modding community could only be brought to the Xbox. I then started to think how this could work. I was thinking that if Microsoft provided its users with a platform to create mods, users could create the mod that they want for a game and put it in the Xbox Live Marketplace for that particular game. Much like how Steam handles mods for the PC, all you would have to do is go to your game in the Xbox Live section and download the mod that you want (Of course this might have to be regulated a bit but it is just an idea, and a good idea in my mind at that.) ... Now, I'm not the most intelligent on this matter, so I'm sorry if I said anything completely idiotic, but that is my idea and I hope we will see it in the future. This would bridge the gap between the PC and Consoles, and facilitate, what I believe, is the most important aspect of gaming; the community, and creativity of the users playing it.

Now one more piece I might like to add. I heard that the Xbox One will also be able to function as a DevKit a little after its release. Again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject but does anyone think this is pointing to my idea or if it would even allow my idea to possible? ... So anyways, please share with me your opinions on the matter and spread my idea around if you think its a good one. Maybe if Microsoft isn't planning this for the future, they will catch on that this is a good idea if enough people support it (Of course that depends on everyone else thinking that it is a good idea too, haha.). And if its not possible this generation, maybe we can look to the next. Thanks all! :)[/quote]

There you go, now in three paragraphs.  A little easier on the eyes now.  What browser are you using?  I put the paragraphs in using Chrome.  You can also do it via Internet Explorer.  Before you post click the preview button at the top of page.  If you're having problems with spaces between paragraphs, go to the end of a sentence, hold down the shift key and press space.

Im not reading this giant block of rubbish.

I apologize... the format came out weird and it was hard to get my ideas across and keep it short. Hopefully somebody will read it, haha.

Yeah, for some reason all of my tabs and my spaces between paragraphs got really messed up even though it looked fine when I was typing. I might just have to redo this one and make it shorter too, haha. But I'm sorry again. If you still read it though it would make me really happy, haha.

I know theres a way to space it out but i usually use the

---

---

---

method