Xbox One Hard Drive already to small.

I can not justify to myself to why I spent over $500 on X1 only to realize its limitations already.. For example my Xbox 360 has a 120 GB hard drive only 30 GB of that is taking by 104 full albums, 25 saved games, apps, arcade games, themes & 360's OS. On the other hand my Xbox Ones 500 GB hard drive (which sounds like more than we'll all even need) only has TWO games (AC4 & CoD Ghosts) & couple apps like YouTube & the Bluray player app & almost HALF of my memory is USED!!!! Now, it's perfectly clear why MS didn't include right away the ability to view your space available/used space until the last update. They failed to tell everybody BEFORE that even the bare skin & bones X1 OS was going to use up over 100 GB out of the 500 GB hard drive!! That means over 1/5 of the total space of the hard drive is used for the OS! That is the largest OS I've ever heard of.. Example: Windows 8/Xbox 360 OS takes about 30 GB & can do WAY more than Xbox Ones OS. Not to mention this OS doesn't have many features or things that should use that much space. That space should be our space to use for OUR games. So the 500 GB hard drive that we all thought we were spending over $500 on isn't anywhere near 500 GB. Without saving ANYTHING on your X1 there is only about 362 GB left. Which isn't much space at all considering that only 2 games took my available memory down to about half of the 500 GB we all thought we had to use on OUR stuff. My X1 says I've used 22% of total memory but only have about 280 GB left. That's only TWO games but almost HALF of my memory is gone!! MS knew that their operating system was going to take over 1/5 of our total memory but chose not to tell us OR give us our own ability to figure it out until they realized they couldn't hide it anymore. To me that is a perfect example of a company being very dishonest! If the OS only needed 40 GB I clearly wouldn't be this upset but over 100 GB for a OS that isn't even close to being done is outrageous! MS also knew that the next gen games were going to need to take up more space on the X1 hard drive but knowingly only put aside 362 GB inside the console but advertised to all of us that there would be 500 GB worth of space. So now we are all expected to pay MS for an external hard drive IF we want to not run out of space on our not 500 GB but really 360 something GB hard drive. So that's MS solution for false advertisement & misleading all of the people unfortunate to have already spent over $500 on a console that already needs external memory? They soon will be expecting those people to spend even more money just to be able to save all of their games without having to sacrifice other saved games. Why? Because that 500 GB they keep advertising isn't really 500 GB but in reality is 360 something GB. They knew 362 GB isn't even much either because ALL games require to be downloaded onto the hard drive & take up 3 times the amount of space as Xbox 360 games. I'm very disappointed in my findings. I even called 1 800 4 MY XBOX & the 2 different people I talked to couldn't even believe it also & suggested to me to write this forum in hopes something would change so more  people wouldn't fall into my position.    

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Your rant is cute. If you're not going to bother to understand how the system is put together, why are you wasting time getting bent out of shape over numbers you don't grasp the meaning of?

I tried to read the wall of text... honestly I really did.

Just fyi all your games are saved in the cloud.

Bleh... Those who do not know history cannot look towards the future. Look up how much space the original Xbox had, followed by how much the original 360 had. Reply back afterward. Then continue to read the following. You may want to highlight this. The video game industry has been steadily growing in process. games that use to take up a set portion have steadily come to be 4x (Not an average but a general number) its predecessor byte amount. Games will grow and there really is no way to properly keep up with it unless we get to making the Tetra drives at an affordable and safe rate. I personally look forward to the Petabyte being available for purchase on a consumer level. The cloud seems to be a good idea if they offer lower costs. However that isnt really currently possible for those who have data caps or unstable connections. So, at a bit of an impasse which cant be solved until innovations in data transfer.

Theres suppose to be support for hooking up an external HDD coming in the future....so, be patient is all I can say.

All new OS's are bloated at the start how else would they be able to add the things people are asking to be included. As things settle down and are implemented how they should be they start to optimize and make the footprint smaller. Make the initial size to small and you will never get it back.

They call the thing "future-proof" for a reason, so I wouldn't worry about it so much. ;)

What position did you fall to?

kind of funny.. I bought my XB1 on Nov 22 and by then I already knew what the OS took up as well as the games I planned on purchasing... so needless to say.. I still have the XB1.. all the apps plus a few I do not use.. the games I want to play... and I still have over 50% of my HDD left...

besides...  DELETE A GAME YOU DO NOT PLAY.. <duh>

I simply got rid of the "event" clips off the studio... So much data..