Xbox one games and console updates

I don't know if this is a problem my end or if everyone has/think's this but,. 

Why does it take so long for the xbox one to update? Doesn't matter if it's a game itself, console update or installing a game but it takes bloody ages! The 360 done all of these so fast I barely noticed, now when it pop's up I press ok and have time for a nap. Just me or what? Why?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I've got my Xbox on Instant On mode, and automatic updates on.  I say this because for the last few months I never see updates, they're downloaded in the background when the console is 'off'... the system updates also now install and reboot the console when it's 'off'.  Game updates are pre-downloaded and installed the moment you boot up the game.

IMO it's infintely better than the 360 system, it's all ready to go when I want to game.

Possibly because the updates are so much bigger than the 360? Bigger updates means longer downloads and longer installs.

Do what I and other people do, leave your console in "instant on" mode, then updates are downloaded as soon as they are available, usually when your at work.  For example the last system update happened and I didn't even know it had updated untill I noticed the "what's new" tile on the dashboard.

There are many things that can cause a slow update: internet connection, local network activity depending on type if internet you have, server activity, Joe Schmoe BIFFing (Backho-induced Fiber Failure), etc...

Updates on the 360 were limited to 8MB each originally, because the original 360s came with no internal storage and the cheaper models came with a small memory unit instead of a hard drive.

On the Xbox One, as every console has a hard drive there are no such restrictions on developers, which is a bit of a double-edged sword. With the 360, devs had to bear in mind that they only had 8MB to play with before the game even shipped and they would have to make sure their patches were super tight (in terms of coding), but it also limited developers a few times due to the small file size limit.

The Xbox One has been designed to be used in "instant on" mode with a broadband connection, so many of the patches and updates should be downloaded and installed while the console is in sleep mode. It can be a bit of a pain for people with slow broadband though, particularly when you install a disc-based game for the first time as it will also check for (and download) any patches that are available at that point.

Well technically when the console is in "instant on" mode it really isn't completely turned off, but in a low power state.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

It's never "completely" turned off, because even in energy saving mode it's consuming a trickle of power to check for you pressing the on button. I know what you're saying though, so I'm just being pedantic. :D

Here's the power consumption figures recorded by Anandtech (PS4 figures in brackets for anyone that cares): -

Energy saving mode (off) = 0.22 Watts (0.45)

Instant on mode (off) = 15.3 Watts (8.59)

Idle on the dashboard = 69.7 Watts (88.9)

Under load while gaming = 119 Watts (139.8)

Under load while watching a Blu-Ray disc = 79.9 Watts (98)

So, it saves more on electricity than Sony's console in most cases? ...awesome.

I wish that with the updates, we had a more streamlined and universally-standard way of seeing what exactly was updated (like patch notes) through the games and apps screen. The star is a nice touch, but I hate seeing it knowing that something was updated, but not knowing what changed. Right now, the only way to really tell is if the developers publicly announce it.

I turn everything to do with my t.v off at the main's at night (no particular reason, although it saves a few pennie's) when I first got the XBone I left it on the instant on mode but noticed that the power supply box stayed pretty warm, so then I changed it to the power saving mode so everything cooled down when I wasn't using it. But those updates being done whilst the console is in standy is pretty good and would help. What about when you buy a new game and the initial install? and if you d/l a full game (like I had to with my copy of COD Ghost's) that d/l time I thought was a p**s take.

Thank's for your reply's, they explanied quite abit. Good to know about the power consumption figures aswel Sigma

There's not a lot you can do about buying a new game and having to install it. At least it only has to be done once.

With downloadable games, if you have a friend who has the disc-based version, you can install that to your Xbox One and then buy the game digitally and it won't need to download the entire game again as it's already installed on your hard drive. It will still download any patches released since the game came out though.

I've just upgraded to 160 Mbps broadband, so I'm all good for download games and patches. :D