Xbox One external storage transfer questions

Greetings,

Recently I connected a new external HDD to my Xbox One and decided to backup some titles to make room for the future.

In some cases I copied the titles and in other I moved them. I guess I do not play all games at the moment and having a backup me saves downloading in the future.

Given the above experience I have some questions…

In some cases when I copied (not moved) the game from Internal to External storage there was a size difference. Internally located game was generally bigger than externally located one.

All DLCs were copied during the process and while DLCs themselves were correct in size when compared, the main title was not.

I am wondering if anyone has any comments on the matter.

Where Save Games are concerned, when a title is copied/moved to external storage is the save game associated with the title copied/moved as well or does it always stay local?

Kind Regards

Daniel

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 78 Applies to:

Patches being the difference in size, I had such suspicion when I was copying the data across.

But that theory has some inconsistencies, such us Halo Master Chief Edition being of the same size when copied to external device that it is on internal.

I am not completely up to speed on how Xbox One does its patching,

I remember on 360 there was a process that some patches were included as part of the game image while other sat in temporary storage.

Basically in first situation you were able to see the patch file associated with the title, while in second the cache was replaced when you performed maintenance of played a number of other games.

Of course I wish there was some sort of integrity check option for the files, kind of like verify install options available on Steam or Battle.net… just to be sure.

After all, I just copied close to 1TB of data.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

A correction here about saved data,It is saved simultaneously to the Cloud and your internal hard drive but not your external HDD.

Sorry this didn't help.

The game that is on your internal is larger due to patches and updates. If you were to delete the game from the internal drive and attempted to launch it from external you would most likely be prompted to download any updates/patches again. As for game saves, those are not tied to your internal or external storage, game saves are stored on your cloud. You can completely delete all your local game data, reinstall it at anytime, and your game saves/progress will be exactly where you left off.

Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.